Campaign to bring Boris Bikes to Highgate
A campaign has begun calling for the mayor’s Boris Bikes to be extended to Hampstead Heath.
At the moment bikes introduced by Mayor of London Boris Johnson can be found at Bonny Street, by Camden Road Overground Station.
But campaigners want them to be placed in Kentish Town Road, to the junction where Swain’s Lane meets the bottom of Highgate West Hill, as well as in Parliament Hill Lido car park.
The petition has been organised by Camden Green Party and is supported by Camden Cycling Campaign.
Natalie Bennett, leader of the national Green Party and chairwoman of Camden Green Party, who lives in Somers Town, said: “The cycle hire scheme has quickly become established as a way to get around London.
“So it would be fantastic for it to extend to places like Hampstead Heath where so many people want to go, especially at weekends.
“They are great for the community because they reduce traffic and pollution. Extending the scheme would make a great contribution to the area.”
- 1 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 2 Graham Chapman's Highgate haunt gets a refurb
- 3 'Wet End Lane': Leak could take five days to fix
- 4 'Incredibly kind and caring': Tribute to wife who died with brain tumour
- 5 Arteta's Arsenal plan coming together nicely
- 6 'Let’s take the motor traffic out of Swiss Cottage'
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 10 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
Campaigner Tim Sowula said: “Trade for our local businesses could grow if the area was made accessible to the thousands of tourists who use the bikes.”
To view the petition visit http://chn.ge/OTzC49