Campaign to bring Boris Bikes to Highgate
A campaign has begun calling for the mayor’s Boris Bikes to be extended to Hampstead Heath.
At the moment bikes introduced by Mayor of London Boris Johnson can be found at Bonny Street, by Camden Road Overground Station.
But campaigners want them to be placed in Kentish Town Road, to the junction where Swain’s Lane meets the bottom of Highgate West Hill, as well as in Parliament Hill Lido car park.
The petition has been organised by Camden Green Party and is supported by Camden Cycling Campaign.
Natalie Bennett, leader of the national Green Party and chairwoman of Camden Green Party, who lives in Somers Town, said: “The cycle hire scheme has quickly become established as a way to get around London.
“So it would be fantastic for it to extend to places like Hampstead Heath where so many people want to go, especially at weekends.
“They are great for the community because they reduce traffic and pollution. Extending the scheme would make a great contribution to the area.”
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Mum's Balenciaga handbag 'mistakenly' sold by RSPCA charity shop
- 3 Camden recycling ‘indiscriminately’ contaminated as lorry issues persist
- 4 Artist with autism gets purr of approval from Grayson Perry
- 5 Highgate School abuse: Staff had to 'shake themselves out of complacency'
- 6 Boy, 14, charged following Harringay Sainsbury's stabbing
- 7 Ramsey Court: Residents send letter to Gove in attempt to stop development
- 8 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 9 'Cover-up': Council withheld evidence from watchdog 'behind leader's back'
- 10 Highgate School to overhaul safeguarding after sexual abuse review
Campaigner Tim Sowula said: “Trade for our local businesses could grow if the area was made accessible to the thousands of tourists who use the bikes.”
To view the petition visit http://chn.ge/OTzC49