Campaign to bring Boris Bikes to Highgate
A campaign has begun calling for the mayor’s Boris Bikes to be extended to Hampstead Heath.
At the moment bikes introduced by Mayor of London Boris Johnson can be found at Bonny Street, by Camden Road Overground Station.
But campaigners want them to be placed in Kentish Town Road, to the junction where Swain’s Lane meets the bottom of Highgate West Hill, as well as in Parliament Hill Lido car park.
The petition has been organised by Camden Green Party and is supported by Camden Cycling Campaign.
Natalie Bennett, leader of the national Green Party and chairwoman of Camden Green Party, who lives in Somers Town, said: “The cycle hire scheme has quickly become established as a way to get around London.
You may also want to watch:
“So it would be fantastic for it to extend to places like Hampstead Heath where so many people want to go, especially at weekends.
“They are great for the community because they reduce traffic and pollution. Extending the scheme would make a great contribution to the area.”
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Russia 'responsible for assassinating' Muswell Hill resident Litvinenko
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Puppy pampering, parties and pastry: Inside Hampstead's Dandie Dog Cafe
- 10 'It's devastating': Golders Green mother speaks out about rare genetic disease
Campaigner Tim Sowula said: “Trade for our local businesses could grow if the area was made accessible to the thousands of tourists who use the bikes.”
To view the petition visit http://chn.ge/OTzC49