Campaign to bring Boris Bikes to Highgate
A campaign has begun calling for the mayor’s Boris Bikes to be extended to Hampstead Heath.
At the moment bikes introduced by Mayor of London Boris Johnson can be found at Bonny Street, by Camden Road Overground Station.
But campaigners want them to be placed in Kentish Town Road, to the junction where Swain’s Lane meets the bottom of Highgate West Hill, as well as in Parliament Hill Lido car park.
The petition has been organised by Camden Green Party and is supported by Camden Cycling Campaign.
Natalie Bennett, leader of the national Green Party and chairwoman of Camden Green Party, who lives in Somers Town, said: “The cycle hire scheme has quickly become established as a way to get around London.
You may also want to watch:
“So it would be fantastic for it to extend to places like Hampstead Heath where so many people want to go, especially at weekends.
“They are great for the community because they reduce traffic and pollution. Extending the scheme would make a great contribution to the area.”
- 1 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 2 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 3 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 4 Pubs and restaurants look forward to 'normality' of indoors on May 17
- 5 Tottenham Women seal extra time win over Sheffield United
- 6 Hampstead man jailed for pub 'revenge attack' on Jewish Tory barrister
- 7 Falling stonework narrowly misses outdoor diners at Crouch End cafe
- 8 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 You have to laugh – mental health and the role of comedy in our lives
Campaigner Tim Sowula said: “Trade for our local businesses could grow if the area was made accessible to the thousands of tourists who use the bikes.”
To view the petition visit http://chn.ge/OTzC49