Campaign to bring Boris Bikes to Highgate
A campaign has begun calling for the mayor’s Boris Bikes to be extended to Hampstead Heath.
At the moment bikes introduced by Mayor of London Boris Johnson can be found at Bonny Street, by Camden Road Overground Station.
But campaigners want them to be placed in Kentish Town Road, to the junction where Swain’s Lane meets the bottom of Highgate West Hill, as well as in Parliament Hill Lido car park.
The petition has been organised by Camden Green Party and is supported by Camden Cycling Campaign.
Natalie Bennett, leader of the national Green Party and chairwoman of Camden Green Party, who lives in Somers Town, said: “The cycle hire scheme has quickly become established as a way to get around London.
You may also want to watch:
“So it would be fantastic for it to extend to places like Hampstead Heath where so many people want to go, especially at weekends.
“They are great for the community because they reduce traffic and pollution. Extending the scheme would make a great contribution to the area.”
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 3 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 4 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 5 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 6 Every single critical care bed full at hospitals
- 7 Arteta 'very disappointed' by Arsenal exit
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Obituary: Psychotherapist and author Dr Joseph Berke
Campaigner Tim Sowula said: “Trade for our local businesses could grow if the area was made accessible to the thousands of tourists who use the bikes.”
To view the petition visit http://chn.ge/OTzC49