Campaign in support of suspended Haringey councillor goes viral
- Credit: Archant
A petition in support of a local politician who lost the Labour whip for speaking out against cuts to key services has reached 31,000 signatures
The petition calls on Haringey Council to reconsider their decision to suspend Cllr Gideon Bull after he spoke out against the closures of day centres for adults with dementia and disabilities.
“Councillor Gideon Bull is passionate about local services, and was acting in good conscience when he spoke up for those with no other voice,” the petition says.
“His suspension sends out the message that councillors are expected to follow the party line, rather than fight for the public good. If we want councillors who support their communities, they need to be able to speak out against injustices without fear of disproportionate reprisals.
“Please let Haringey council know that we do not support their punishment of Councillor Gideon Bull.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Bull broke ranks to speak out against the closures of day centres at a Haringey cabinet meeting on November 10.
“This will have a devastating impact on the most vulnerable in our society,” he told cabinet members at the time.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre
- 9 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 10 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
It was decided the Birkbeck Road Day Centre in Hornsey, Always Day Centre near Muswell Hill, the Roundway Centre, the Grange Day Centre and the Haven Day Centre will close.
The petition is now just 4,000 signatures away from its target of 35,000.
- The petition can be found at: thepetitionsite.com/669/215/547/demand-that-cllr-gideon-bull-is-not-punished-for-standing-up-for-vulnerable-adults/#sign