Campaign in support of suspended Haringey councillor goes viral
- Credit: Archant
A petition in support of a local politician who lost the Labour whip for speaking out against cuts to key services has reached 31,000 signatures
The petition calls on Haringey Council to reconsider their decision to suspend Cllr Gideon Bull after he spoke out against the closures of day centres for adults with dementia and disabilities.
“Councillor Gideon Bull is passionate about local services, and was acting in good conscience when he spoke up for those with no other voice,” the petition says.
“His suspension sends out the message that councillors are expected to follow the party line, rather than fight for the public good. If we want councillors who support their communities, they need to be able to speak out against injustices without fear of disproportionate reprisals.
“Please let Haringey council know that we do not support their punishment of Councillor Gideon Bull.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Bull broke ranks to speak out against the closures of day centres at a Haringey cabinet meeting on November 10.
“This will have a devastating impact on the most vulnerable in our society,” he told cabinet members at the time.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 2 Arsenal boss Arteta worried about player burnout
- 3 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 4 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Homeschooling in lockdown: Top tips for a north London parent
- 6 Arsenal 'showing maturity' says David Luiz
- 7 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 8 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 9 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 10 Ozil travels to Turkey as Arsenal exit looms
It was decided the Birkbeck Road Day Centre in Hornsey, Always Day Centre near Muswell Hill, the Roundway Centre, the Grange Day Centre and the Haven Day Centre will close.
The petition is now just 4,000 signatures away from its target of 35,000.
- The petition can be found at: thepetitionsite.com/669/215/547/demand-that-cllr-gideon-bull-is-not-punished-for-standing-up-for-vulnerable-adults/#sign