Camden Town Sainsbury’s at centre of storm over “work for free’ advert
- Credit: Archant
Sainsbury’s in Camden Town has come under fire after advertising for an artist to redesign their canteen for free.
The offending advert was placed in the Camden New Journal and calls for “a creative and ambitious artist to voluntarily refurbish our canteen”.
Rather than offering any salary for this work, the advert says the lucky applicant can “gain experience in the creative industry whilst making our community a comfortable area for our employees to escape to.”
The advert further states the company is looking for a “diverse artist” and encourages applicants “from all ethnic backgrounds, genders and age groups to apply.”
No qualifications or experience are required for the unpaid role, and the advert had some on Twitter wondering whether it was a spoof.
The advert continued: “Happy colleagues offer great service and continued success. Your work will contribute to our success.
“Get your work recognised. Share your gift with the heart of Camden. Leave your mark by doing what you love and do best.”
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 3 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 4 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 7 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 8 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 9 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 10 Hornsey Exchange opening first step in bringing town hall 'back to life'
The advert appeared on Thursday, and was followed by a swift Twitter backlash.
A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said: “We’re discussing this with our store in Camden. The advert was placed in the local paper following a colleague discussion around ways to improve the canteen and offer an opportunity to the local community.
“It is not our policy to hire volunteers and we are sorry for this error of judgement.”