Search

Camden Town maisonette destroyed in fire caused by sun shining onto bedroom mirror

PUBLISHED: 13:57 18 May 2018 | UPDATED: 13:57 18 May 2018

The property in Plender Street, Camden Town. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

The property in Plender Street, Camden Town. Picture: London Fire Brigade/Twitter

Archant

A fire – caused by sunlight shining onto a concave mirror – destroyed a seven-bedroom maisonette in Camden Town yesterday afternoon.

London Fire Brigade subsequently urged people to be careful about where they place glass ornaments and mirrors.

Fire crews were called to the property, on the ground and first floor in Plender Street, just after 2pm. It was under control about 90 minutes later.

One woman and one man left the maisonette before the crews arrived, and were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. Another woman left the adjoining property before the Brigade arrived, but had to be taken to hospital.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “These sort of incidents are not as rare as you would think. In the last five years we’ve seen over 100 fires caused by the sun’s rays and this is the second one in a fortnight after sunlight reflecting on a shaving mirror set light to curtains in Fulham last week.

“Our advice is to make sure that you keep mirrors, crystals, glass ornaments and other reflective items out of direct sunlight at all times.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express