Camden Town maisonette destroyed in fire caused by sun shining onto bedroom mirror
- Credit: Archant
A fire – caused by sunlight shining onto a concave mirror – destroyed a seven-bedroom maisonette in Camden Town yesterday afternoon.
London Fire Brigade subsequently urged people to be careful about where they place glass ornaments and mirrors.
Fire crews were called to the property, on the ground and first floor in Plender Street, just after 2pm. It was under control about 90 minutes later.
One woman and one man left the maisonette before the crews arrived, and were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. Another woman left the adjoining property before the Brigade arrived, but had to be taken to hospital.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “These sort of incidents are not as rare as you would think. In the last five years we’ve seen over 100 fires caused by the sun’s rays and this is the second one in a fortnight after sunlight reflecting on a shaving mirror set light to curtains in Fulham last week.
You may also want to watch:
“Our advice is to make sure that you keep mirrors, crystals, glass ornaments and other reflective items out of direct sunlight at all times.”
- 1 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 2 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 3 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 4 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 5 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
- 6 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 9 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 10 Vehicles scraped and traffic chaos after width-restriction bollards moved