Camden Town is burning down, says Grammy winner Amy
Camden town is burning down announced singer Amy Winehouse as she accepted her Grammy awards last night. Just 24 hours earlier it had been, with her favourite Hawley Arms pub caught up in the blaze which destroyed millions of pounds worth of propert
''Camden town is burning down'' announced singer Amy Winehouse as she accepted her Grammy awards last night.
Just 24 hours earlier it had been, with her favourite Hawley Arms pub caught up in the blaze which destroyed millions of pounds worth of property.
Remarkably there were no casualties and witnesses praised the response of police who evacuated and sealed off the area.
Eye witness Eric Braun described the flames, which could be seen from more than 10 miles away, as ferocious and from the rooftop of his house, Paul Smith told the BBC: ''Flames are shotting up in the air. The market is well alight.''
You may also want to watch:
The investigation is now underway to find out the cause of the dramatic blaze, and Camden Council and London Fire Brigade officials are on the scene this morning to take stock of the damage.
Commuters have been warned to expect severe disruption in the Chalk Farm area.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Letters: The floods!
- 8 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 9 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 10 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
Email your pictures of the Camden fire to: firstname.lastname@example.org and phone us with your stories of the blaze that could change the face of Camden Markets.
Call our newsdesk on 0207 433 6215 or email email@example.com