Camden Council announce new ten-year £18.9m leisure centre deal with contractors GLL
- Credit: Archant
Camden Council has announced a new ten-year contract with the company which manages its leisure centres.
Despite pressure within the Labour group to bring services back in-house, last February the town hall decided it would continue to work with an external provider.
It has now announced that external provider will continue to be Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL), under their Better brand.
The new contract covers five leisure centres - in Swiss Cottage, Talacre, St Pancras, Covent Garden and Kentish Town - and the council said it would see £18.9m generated for "improving leisure centres across Camden and other resident services".
It includes provision for GLL to provide up to 15 apprenticeships to Camden residents a year and guarantees £350,000 annually for projects targeting groups known to be less active.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Jonathan Simpson, Camden's communities boss, said: "We are committed to supporting as many residents as possible lead active and healthy lives and our leisure centres are key to this."
GLL chief exec Mark Sesnan said the company would be "proud to deliver" the services for the next decade.
- 1 Tottenham squad is slowly taking shape but uncertainty remains
- 2 Spoiler: Cycling up Haverstock Hill is hard work
- 3 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 4 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 5 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 6 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 7 Ken Clarke's anger at 'pointless' Infected Blood Inquiry questions
- 8 'Body blow': Crouch End NatWest bank to close
- 9 Source Bulk Foods health store opens in Crouch End
- 10 West Heath Road flats set for approval – despite affordable housing dispute