Camden mayor recovering after heart attack
CAMDEN'S mayor, who is embroiled in allegations over benefit fraud, is recovering at home after a mild heart attack. Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital last week with chest pain. He underwent various tests and stayed for a spel
CAMDEN'S mayor, who is embroiled in allegations over benefit fraud, is recovering at home after a mild heart attack.
Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital last week with chest pain. He underwent various tests and stayed for a spell before being discharged to go home and rest.
The Kentish Town councillor, 55, is facing allegations over disability benefits after being arrested and quizzed by Department for Work and Pensions officials.
Despite being released without charge and denying any wrongdoing, the council is not allowing him to carry out any more mayoral duties. Deputy mayor Cllr Lulu Mitchell will fill in.
But Cllr Ansari is vowing to stay on as mayor while he clears his name.
He said: "I am not at all well. I am back at home after being in the hospital. I had a mild heart attack and now I am at home recovering.
- 1 Alexandra Palace: 2 hospitalised in Red Bull's Soapbox Race
- 2 Police called to 'youth with knife trying to climb school gates'
- 3 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 4 Night-time fishing suspended at Vale of Health following 'antisocial behaviour'
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Jailed: 9 north London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 8 Elvis Presley songwriter and former Ham&High columnist dies aged 82
- 9 Covid: North London hospital admissions rising amid national surge
- 10 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
"I have not resigned from being mayor and I am hoping to go back when I am better. The council has not told me anything at all. I need to rest now."
The council has decided to remove the support services from the mayor and divert them to the deputy mayor.
It says this is because the fact he is facing these allegations is having a detrimental effect on the functioning of the mayoralty.
Cllr Ansari was also suspended by Liberal Democrat party after his arrest.