Camden mayor recovering after heart attack
CAMDEN'S mayor, who is embroiled in allegations over benefit fraud, is recovering at home after a mild heart attack. Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital last week with chest pain. He underwent various tests and stayed for a spel
CAMDEN'S mayor, who is embroiled in allegations over benefit fraud, is recovering at home after a mild heart attack.
Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital last week with chest pain. He underwent various tests and stayed for a spell before being discharged to go home and rest.
The Kentish Town councillor, 55, is facing allegations over disability benefits after being arrested and quizzed by Department for Work and Pensions officials.
Despite being released without charge and denying any wrongdoing, the council is not allowing him to carry out any more mayoral duties. Deputy mayor Cllr Lulu Mitchell will fill in.
You may also want to watch:
But Cllr Ansari is vowing to stay on as mayor while he clears his name.
He said: "I am not at all well. I am back at home after being in the hospital. I had a mild heart attack and now I am at home recovering.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 5 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 6 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 7 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 8 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 9 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
- 10 Hampstead Heath guru Diane is 'a lifeline' for women's walking group
"I have not resigned from being mayor and I am hoping to go back when I am better. The council has not told me anything at all. I need to rest now."
The council has decided to remove the support services from the mayor and divert them to the deputy mayor.
It says this is because the fact he is facing these allegations is having a detrimental effect on the functioning of the mayoralty.
Cllr Ansari was also suspended by Liberal Democrat party after his arrest.