Camden mayor recovering after heart attack
CAMDEN'S mayor, who is embroiled in allegations over benefit fraud, is recovering at home after a mild heart attack. Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital last week with chest pain. He underwent various tests and stayed for a spel
CAMDEN'S mayor, who is embroiled in allegations over benefit fraud, is recovering at home after a mild heart attack.
Cllr Omar Faruque Ansari was rushed to the Royal Free Hospital last week with chest pain. He underwent various tests and stayed for a spell before being discharged to go home and rest.
The Kentish Town councillor, 55, is facing allegations over disability benefits after being arrested and quizzed by Department for Work and Pensions officials.
Despite being released without charge and denying any wrongdoing, the council is not allowing him to carry out any more mayoral duties. Deputy mayor Cllr Lulu Mitchell will fill in.
But Cllr Ansari is vowing to stay on as mayor while he clears his name.
He said: "I am not at all well. I am back at home after being in the hospital. I had a mild heart attack and now I am at home recovering.
- 1 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 2 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 3 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 6 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 7 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 8 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 9 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
"I have not resigned from being mayor and I am hoping to go back when I am better. The council has not told me anything at all. I need to rest now."
The council has decided to remove the support services from the mayor and divert them to the deputy mayor.
It says this is because the fact he is facing these allegations is having a detrimental effect on the functioning of the mayoralty.
Cllr Ansari was also suspended by Liberal Democrat party after his arrest.