New year message: 'Continue to support your neighbours'
- Credit: Archant
None of us could ever have imagined what a challenging year 2020 would be.
However, I’ve been immensely proud to see our communities coming together and doing everything they can to support one another during what has been a year like no other.
The festive season gives us a real opportunity to reflect on the year we’ve had, to recognise all the good things we’ve achieved but also to think about those who are struggling during this time.
Whilst many of us will experience a safe Christmas at home, unfortunately this isn’t the case for some, including those who are victims of domestic violence
I’m proud of the work we are doing in Camden to combat this issue and support people who have experienced it, however, as always there is more to do.
You may also want to watch:
So please continue to look out for your neighbours and contacting our support services if something doesn’t feel right.
As we draw to the end of one of the toughest years, I’d like to say a huge thank you to all our residents who have made sacrifices and played their part to keep themselves and others safe.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 5 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
I’d also like to highlight the fantastic and selfless work from our local NHS staff, key workers and volunteers who have gone and beyond to help those who have been most in need during this time.
Finally, I’d like to say a massive thank you to all those that contributed clothes, toys, toiletries and gift vouchers to this year’s mayor’s Christmas appeal.
Your donations will make a real difference for those who have been particularly affected by the pandemic and bring joy to so many people this Christmas.
I wish you all a happy and safe Christmas and brighter times in 2021, and I hope residents can continue to support work to raise money for my chosen charity, Solace Women’s Aid, which supports women and children experiencing domestic violence.
You can find out more and donate at www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mayor-camden
- Cllr Maryam Eslamdoust is the mayor of Camden