‘Iconic’ Koko nightclub roof blaze brings Camden Town to standstill
- Credit: Archant
Fire engulfed the roof of the closed-down Camden Town nightclub Koko on Monday evening.
After being called shortly before 9pm, around 60 firefighters have been tackling the blaze at the club, which was being refurbished.
According to London Fire Brigade, "part of the roof" was alight.
A spokesperson for the brigade added: "The brigade control took 22 999 calls to the visible blaze. Please avoid the area if possible."
The venue, previously known as the Camden Palace and the Camden Hippodrome, has hosted acts from the Rolling Stones to Prince.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Oliver Cooper (Con, Hampstead Town) was among those to tweet his concern as the fire ripped through the building.
He told this newspaper: "It did look like it took off very quickly, but I'm just relieved it was brought under control so quickly."
- 1 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 2 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 3 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 4 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 5 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 6 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Camden's deputy mayor ditches Labour to join Greens
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
Cllr Georgia Gould, who leads the council, tweeted: "Heartbreaking watching the Camden Palace / Koko up in flames this evening, a building that holds so many memories and means so much to us in Camden. Incredible how quickly @LondonFire got under control, we owe them so much for their swift and courageous response."
MP for Holborn and St Pancras Sir Keir Starmer praised the "incredible response" from firefighters.
At about 10pm, the brigade tweeted: "Firefighters working hard to save iconic Camden nightclub. Operations continue to bring the blaze fully under control."
The fire is understood to have since been brought under control.
DJ Tony Blackburn tweeted on Monday night: "I've only just heard about this. This is terrible news particularly as it was going through a refurbishment and we were hoping to hold our next BBC Radio London Soul Night Out there when it opens.
"Let's hope nobody has been hurt in the fire at KoKo it's such a great venue."
The cause of the fire is not yet known.