‘Iconic’ Koko nightclub roof blaze brings Camden Town to standstill
- Credit: Archant
Fire engulfed the roof of the closed-down Camden Town nightclub Koko on Monday evening.
After being called shortly before 9pm, around 60 firefighters have been tackling the blaze at the club, which was being refurbished.
According to London Fire Brigade, "part of the roof" was alight.
A spokesperson for the brigade added: "The brigade control took 22 999 calls to the visible blaze. Please avoid the area if possible."
The venue, previously known as the Camden Palace and the Camden Hippodrome, has hosted acts from the Rolling Stones to Prince.
Cllr Oliver Cooper (Con, Hampstead Town) was among those to tweet his concern as the fire ripped through the building.
He told this newspaper: "It did look like it took off very quickly, but I'm just relieved it was brought under control so quickly."
- 1 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 2 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 3 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 4 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 5 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
- 6 The most expensive homes sold in Camden in November 2021
- 7 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 8 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Watchdog: Ex-council leader's conduct over housing development was 'flawed'
Cllr Georgia Gould, who leads the council, tweeted: "Heartbreaking watching the Camden Palace / Koko up in flames this evening, a building that holds so many memories and means so much to us in Camden. Incredible how quickly @LondonFire got under control, we owe them so much for their swift and courageous response."
MP for Holborn and St Pancras Sir Keir Starmer praised the "incredible response" from firefighters.
At about 10pm, the brigade tweeted: "Firefighters working hard to save iconic Camden nightclub. Operations continue to bring the blaze fully under control."
The fire is understood to have since been brought under control.
DJ Tony Blackburn tweeted on Monday night: "I've only just heard about this. This is terrible news particularly as it was going through a refurbishment and we were hoping to hold our next BBC Radio London Soul Night Out there when it opens.
"Let's hope nobody has been hurt in the fire at KoKo it's such a great venue."
The cause of the fire is not yet known.