Camden councillor camps out in car boot for Tory conference
- Credit: Archant
Every political party has its stereotype and the Conservatives are often teased for being a group of middle-class older men who like the finer things in life.
But maverick Camden councillor Jonny Bucknell has defied the Tory image by sleeping in the back of his car during the annual party conference, which this year was held in the grand Midland hotel in Manchester.
It is a tale of one man and his Volvo.
Cllr Bucknell’s taste for sleeping in his customised vehicle, complete with black-out windows and mains voltage so he can use his electric shaver, began years ago and he thinks it is the best way to truly get to know a city.
But he is not calling for more party activists to try out his eccentric sleeping choice.
“Heaven forbid if there was a car park full of Conservatives. No, I’m the only one who can do this,” he said.
“Though if anyone wants to come down and share a glass of my home-brewed wine, they are very welcome.”
- 1 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 2 Hampstead Town's first Labour councillor stands down weeks into office
- 3 Walking book club: Hampstead Heath, Death and The Penguin
- 4 Highgate pub landlords to appeal restrictive licence approval
- 5 Olympic ace opens Highgate primary school's new running track
- 6 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 7 Man wanted after serious assault in Sussex 'may live in Camden'
- 8 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 9 Cartoonist creates celebrity tube stops
- 10 Campaign launched after girl suffers fractured ribs from e-scooter crash
Cllr Bucknell freshens up by using local swimming pools.
He has customised the vehicle to make sure his stopovers are as comfortable, and save as much money, as possible.
A ripped camp bed has made for awkward nights’ sleep but he has vowed to live in luxury when he next goes away by getting an airbed for his Volvo.