Camden councillor camps out in car boot for Tory conference
- Credit: Archant
Every political party has its stereotype and the Conservatives are often teased for being a group of middle-class older men who like the finer things in life.
But maverick Camden councillor Jonny Bucknell has defied the Tory image by sleeping in the back of his car during the annual party conference, which this year was held in the grand Midland hotel in Manchester.
It is a tale of one man and his Volvo.
Cllr Bucknell’s taste for sleeping in his customised vehicle, complete with black-out windows and mains voltage so he can use his electric shaver, began years ago and he thinks it is the best way to truly get to know a city.
But he is not calling for more party activists to try out his eccentric sleeping choice.
You may also want to watch:
“Heaven forbid if there was a car park full of Conservatives. No, I’m the only one who can do this,” he said.
“Though if anyone wants to come down and share a glass of my home-brewed wine, they are very welcome.”
- 1 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 2 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 3 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 4 'Something out of Blade Runner?' BT eyes screen near cinema
- 5 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 6 Hampstead 'business hero' honoured for work with Soho Dairy street stall
- 7 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 8 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 9 Suburb couple start canal concerts with afternoon tea
- 10 Convicted terrorist sent back to jail after bin lorry breach
Cllr Bucknell freshens up by using local swimming pools.
He has customised the vehicle to make sure his stopovers are as comfortable, and save as much money, as possible.
A ripped camp bed has made for awkward nights’ sleep but he has vowed to live in luxury when he next goes away by getting an airbed for his Volvo.