Camden councillor camps out in car boot for Tory conference
- Credit: Archant
Every political party has its stereotype and the Conservatives are often teased for being a group of middle-class older men who like the finer things in life.
But maverick Camden councillor Jonny Bucknell has defied the Tory image by sleeping in the back of his car during the annual party conference, which this year was held in the grand Midland hotel in Manchester.
It is a tale of one man and his Volvo.
Cllr Bucknell’s taste for sleeping in his customised vehicle, complete with black-out windows and mains voltage so he can use his electric shaver, began years ago and he thinks it is the best way to truly get to know a city.
But he is not calling for more party activists to try out his eccentric sleeping choice.
You may also want to watch:
“Heaven forbid if there was a car park full of Conservatives. No, I’m the only one who can do this,” he said.
“Though if anyone wants to come down and share a glass of my home-brewed wine, they are very welcome.”
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 4 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 5 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 9 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 10 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
Cllr Bucknell freshens up by using local swimming pools.
He has customised the vehicle to make sure his stopovers are as comfortable, and save as much money, as possible.
A ripped camp bed has made for awkward nights’ sleep but he has vowed to live in luxury when he next goes away by getting an airbed for his Volvo.