Camden Council looks to squeeze more money out of Hampstead shopping street
- Credit: Archant
Town hall chiefs are trying to broker deals with traders to squeeze more cash out of valuable properties along one of Hampstead’s main shopping thoroughfares.
Camden Council owns 42 properties along Heath Street and officials are working on a plan to renegotiate the current leases with 12 businesses. New contracts would carve the properties up into commercial premises downstairs and residential properties upstairs.
The council claims this will be a “win-win” deal, swelling its own coffers and offering businesses an investment opportunity.
Currently traders can only use the upper floors for business purposes but under the new proposals to sell 125-year leases, traders could sublet or sell the lease.
Cllr Theo Blackwell, cabinet member for finance, said: “This is happening in the regeneration of other places. What they have done, especially in places that have high rents, is capture the residential value of space above the shops.”
You may also want to watch:
But supporters of independent businesses have branded the plans ill-considered and a short-term cash generator for the council.
Jessica Learmond-Criqui, of the Hampstead Shops Campaign, said: “Where are these businesses going to get the money from to pay the huge cost of a residential lease for space they are already getting? It needs further discussion.”
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 When Prince's Sign o' the Times shop opened in Camden
- 3 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 7 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 'Football is everything': Camden United on tackling knife crime and supporting community
- 10 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured