Camden Council accountant ‘murdered in frenzied knife attack by her own son’
- Credit: Archant
An accountant with Camden Council was allegedly murdered in a “meticulously” planned killing by her son, a court heard.
The last moments of Tolu Kalejaiye’s life were recorded on a friend’s mobile phone, and the chilling four minute voicemail visibly upset jurors as it was played at Chelmsford Crown Court this week.
As the mother’s high-pitched screams and cries rang out across the hushed court room, the seven women and five men on the jury looked distressed.
The 44-year-old’s son, Emmanuel Kalejaiye, 21, denies murder but admits manslaughter.
Mrs Kalejaiye was stabbed more than 40 times on September 26 at the modern detached home that she shared with her son in Wethersfield Way, Wickford, Essex, as she left to go to work. She had been an agency employee at Camden Council for six months.
You may also want to watch:
She suffered more than 40 cuts and stab wounds to her head, face, neck and upper limbs. Two main arteries were severed in the left side of her neck and she died quickly from a massive amount of blood loss.
During the attack in their kitchen, it is alleged Mrs Kalejaiye, unknown to her son, managed to ring her friend Leo Shogunle.
- 1 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 2 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 9 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
The court heard that Mr Shogunle was asleep but the pair’s phones stayed connected and he later heard the recording.
He arrived at her house and found her body.
Prosecutor Andrew Jackson claimed her son had “meticulously” planned to kill her, buying knives, rubber gloves, and women’s pink jogging bottoms and a pink hooded top from Primark.
He said Kalejaiye wore the woman’s outfit and high heels to masquerade as his mother as he moved her silver Mercedes car in a bid to deceive neighbours that his mother had left for work.
But he had allegedly already covered floors in the house and garage with cardboard and bin liners.
Kalejaiye told police after his arrest he had been subjected to a lifetime of mental and physical abuse by his mother, and that she brainwashed him. He later claimed unknown masked men forced him to stab his mother.
Mrs Kalejaiye, originally from Nigeria, raised her sons as a single parent after her marriage ended in 2003.
The trial continues.