Camden a step closer to introducing 20mph speed limit
Camden Council is a step closer to imposing 20mph speed limits throughout the borough.
The authority agreed last Wednesday to carry out a six-week public consultation on the plans throughout January and February next year.
Some areas in Camden already have 20mph limits, including Belsize ward, and the council believes this has already improved road safety.
If the consultation is successful, the 20mph limits could be in place on roads controlled by Camden between September 2013 and March 2014. The proposal received cross-party support at a culture and environment scrutiny committee in September.
The project will cost between �1million and �1.5million.
You may also want to watch:
In Camden, casualties for all road users rose by six per cent between 2009 and 2010.
Cllr Phil Jones, cabinet member for sustainability, said: “Introducing a 20mph borough-wide speed limit in Camden would prevent road casualties and make our streets safer spaces for all. Just a small reduction in speeds prevents accidents and saves lives.”
- 1 London Zoo's aviary unwrapped to create new monkey home
- 2 Police investigate reported rape of teenager
- 3 Tennis coach 'distraught' at losing Belsize role amid club row
- 4 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 5 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 6 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 7 'Time for banks to share a Crouch End branch'
- 8 E-scooters set for Camden as council boss backs rental trial
- 9 Harry Kane: Boyhood club cult status or chase that silverware?
- 10 Motorcyclist in 'life-threatening' condition after collision with a car in Maida Vale
Roads controlled by Transport for London (TfL) will not be included at this stage.
but TfL as well as the Department for Transport and police will also be consulted.
National statistics show that at 20mph there is a 2.5 per cent chance of being fatally injured compared to a 20 per cent chance at 30mph.