Call for volunteers to clean up West Heath
THE long hot nights, especially at weekends, turn West Heath into an environmental disaster area. Though quite legally used by cruisers, large amounts of discarded condoms and other litter are carelessly left strewn all over the place. It s enough to need
THE long hot nights, especially at weekends, turn West Heath into an environmental disaster area. Though quite legally used by cruisers, large amounts of discarded condoms and other litter are carelessly left strewn all over the place. It's enough to need two men working full-time to clean it all up.
With close contact between the Camden LGBT Form (a Camden-funded body, incidentally) and the City of London Constabulary, West Heath is now a safe environment for cruisers - even condoms are handed out to them by the Terrence Higgins Trust. But it is now surely time for these groups to see that the area becomes a clean environment as well - one where local residents and their families can stroll on a Sunday afternoon without having the previous night's litter strewn in their paths.
Both groups could easily organise about half a dozen or so volunteers to clean up the area two or three mornings a week. That is all it would take.
You may also want to watch:
Belsize Grove, NW3
- 1 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 2 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 3 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 4 Callum Chambers could be Arsenal's starting right-back
- 5 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 6 Arsenal signing Simone Boye Sorensen says she needed a 'new start'
- 7 Letters: The floods!
- 8 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 9 Flash floods 'three feet high' leave basement flats 'uninhabitable'
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds