Call for donations to raise funds for Highgate’s Christmas lights and festival
The team behind Highgate’s Christmas lights are calling for donations and sponsors to raise much-needed funds for their festive switch-on event.
Lead organisers Jane Wiles and Charlotte Bourne are still looking for local businesses to sponsor reindeers and a stage in Pond Square for the Christmas festival on Saturday, November 16.
TV presenter Alex Zane has been confirmed as the event’s host but a mystery celebrity guest will be switching on the lights in Highgate High Street.
Haringey Council has confirmed it will give £4,000 to the cause, half as much as last year.
But Ms Wiles, of children’s boutique Notsobig in Highgate High Street, and Ms Bourne, of estate agents Taylor Gibbs in Highgate High Street, are still short of £6,000 to install the lights.
You may also want to watch:
They also hope to buy lights for a tree in Highgate School’s chapel in Southwood Lane.
Ms Wiles, 50, of Hornsey Lane, said: “We already have Goldschmidt and Howland, Highgate Hospital, Streathers Solicitors, Litchfields, and Prickett & Ellis Underhill as main sponsors for the event but we are hoping to attract more companies who will want to sponsor us.”
- 1 Golders Green Hippodrome sold as Islamic centre plan abandoned
- 2 'From Archway to Selfridges… The Toy Project'
- 3 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 4 Richard Ratcliffe on hunger strike over government failure to secure Nazanin's release
- 5 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 6 Dusty Springfield to Doris Lessing: A dive into West Hampstead history
- 7 'As a welcoming, tolerant and caring community, we have all lost'
- 8 Top spooky Halloween events in Hampstead and Highgate
- 9 Best friends: Meet the man and his cat exploring London on a bike
- 10 Lockdown landscape artist changes job to paint full time