Call for donations to raise funds for Highgate’s Christmas lights and festival
The team behind Highgate’s Christmas lights are calling for donations and sponsors to raise much-needed funds for their festive switch-on event.
Lead organisers Jane Wiles and Charlotte Bourne are still looking for local businesses to sponsor reindeers and a stage in Pond Square for the Christmas festival on Saturday, November 16.
TV presenter Alex Zane has been confirmed as the event’s host but a mystery celebrity guest will be switching on the lights in Highgate High Street.
Haringey Council has confirmed it will give £4,000 to the cause, half as much as last year.
But Ms Wiles, of children’s boutique Notsobig in Highgate High Street, and Ms Bourne, of estate agents Taylor Gibbs in Highgate High Street, are still short of £6,000 to install the lights.
You may also want to watch:
They also hope to buy lights for a tree in Highgate School’s chapel in Southwood Lane.
Ms Wiles, 50, of Hornsey Lane, said: “We already have Goldschmidt and Howland, Highgate Hospital, Streathers Solicitors, Litchfields, and Prickett & Ellis Underhill as main sponsors for the event but we are hoping to attract more companies who will want to sponsor us.”
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 8 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 9 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 10 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office