Business of the Week: Hampstead Premier Dairies
- Credit: Archant
Milkman Peter Bircham has served north London for more than 40 years.
After working for Express Dairies, Peter decided to set up his own business, Hampstead Premier Dairies, 25 years ago.
And to this day he jumps on his cart during the early hours and drops milk on the doorstep.
Peter said: “We’ve had some hard years but it’s picking up again now, what with people fed up of plastic.
“We’re a delivery service but we’re also a social service.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve often had to call the police if I’ve seen a door left open and, well, when someone hasn’t been taking in their milk for a day or two, you know something’s wrong.”
Peter, who is now 60, couldn’t contemplate doing anything different.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 8 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 9 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 10 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
He said: “I couldn’t do days now – I’m a night person. You get used to being up and done early. And, of course, we always like to get people their milk before breakfast.”