Business of the Week: Hampstead Premier Dairies
- Credit: Archant
Milkman Peter Bircham has served north London for more than 40 years.
After working for Express Dairies, Peter decided to set up his own business, Hampstead Premier Dairies, 25 years ago.
And to this day he jumps on his cart during the early hours and drops milk on the doorstep.
Peter said: “We’ve had some hard years but it’s picking up again now, what with people fed up of plastic.
“We’re a delivery service but we’re also a social service.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve often had to call the police if I’ve seen a door left open and, well, when someone hasn’t been taking in their milk for a day or two, you know something’s wrong.”
Peter, who is now 60, couldn’t contemplate doing anything different.
- 1 Burger King launches its first 'dark kitchen' for north London deliveries
- 2 Arrests made after reports of antisemitic abuse in St John's Wood
- 3 Residents bid farewell to Highgate Station’s beloved black cat
- 4 The Magdala returns as pubs and restaurants reopen indoors on May 17
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 Barnet councillor leaves Tory group over 'personal matter'
- 7 Zookeeper's sponsored swim as London Zoo reopens indoor areas
- 8 Lane closure scrapped after high pollution readings double
- 9 Singing in a choir can 'change the world and boost mental health'
- 10 Haringey Council leader ousted by rival in Labour group vote
He said: “I couldn’t do days now – I’m a night person. You get used to being up and done early. And, of course, we always like to get people their milk before breakfast.”