Business of the Week: Hampstead Premier Dairies
- Credit: Archant
Milkman Peter Bircham has served north London for more than 40 years.
After working for Express Dairies, Peter decided to set up his own business, Hampstead Premier Dairies, 25 years ago.
And to this day he jumps on his cart during the early hours and drops milk on the doorstep.
Peter said: “We’ve had some hard years but it’s picking up again now, what with people fed up of plastic.
“We’re a delivery service but we’re also a social service.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve often had to call the police if I’ve seen a door left open and, well, when someone hasn’t been taking in their milk for a day or two, you know something’s wrong.”
Peter, who is now 60, couldn’t contemplate doing anything different.
- 1 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 2 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 3 Man detained after series of attacks on women in Hampstead
- 4 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 5 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 6 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 7 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 8 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 9 Camden, Haringey and Barnet mark Holocaust Memorial Day
- 10 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
He said: “I couldn’t do days now – I’m a night person. You get used to being up and done early. And, of course, we always like to get people their milk before breakfast.”