Business of the Week: Hampstead Premier Dairies
- Credit: Archant
Milkman Peter Bircham has served north London for more than 40 years.
After working for Express Dairies, Peter decided to set up his own business, Hampstead Premier Dairies, 25 years ago.
And to this day he jumps on his cart during the early hours and drops milk on the doorstep.
Peter said: “We’ve had some hard years but it’s picking up again now, what with people fed up of plastic.
“We’re a delivery service but we’re also a social service.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve often had to call the police if I’ve seen a door left open and, well, when someone hasn’t been taking in their milk for a day or two, you know something’s wrong.”
Peter, who is now 60, couldn’t contemplate doing anything different.
- 1 Planning application nears for Murphy's Yard redevelopment
- 2 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates
- 3 What do you think of the Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill bins?
- 4 St John's Wood High Street traders' fears after Harry's closure
- 5 Golders Green Hippodrome 'chooses love' at interfaith Covid vaccine drive
- 6 Ibiza comes to Kenwood with meditation and music event for 'healthy hedonists'
- 7 Man stabbed to death at Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- 8 Driver tries to get car insured on phone when stopped by police - Porsche seized
- 9 Mikel Arteta must trust Gabriel Martinelli against Villarreal
- 10 Tree topples onto neighbour's car after South Hampstead winds
He said: “I couldn’t do days now – I’m a night person. You get used to being up and done early. And, of course, we always like to get people their milk before breakfast.”