Business of the Week: The Children’s Bookshop
- Credit: Sophie Cheng
The Children’s Bookshop in Muswell Hill has been part of the community since the 1970s.
Two and a half years ago, Sanchita Basu de Sarkar, who had worked there since 2012, bought the shop and has helped to continue its success – the business even helped judge the Costa Children’s Book Award this year.
Sanchita has been named a rising star of the book trade by publishing magazine the Bookseller.
She said: “We’re very much part of the community.
“We go around schools in Haringey – we take authors around, even, and we, I hope, are able to promote books and literacy.”
You may also want to watch:
Of the recent recognition, Sanchita said: “It’s nice, it shows how much we’ve been doing this year.
“We helped with the Costa Prize and have had such good authors here.”
- 1 Rabindranath Tagore's Hampstead home on the market for £2.65m
- 2 Late-night kidnap arrest after police search park
- 3 Artist who captures North London's 'special light'
- 4 'It's madness': Queues block north London roads amid petrol shortage
- 5 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 6 Pure Gym to open in Crouch End
- 7 'We can't afford it': Camden foodbank prepares for spike in demand
- 8 Haverstock Hill petrol station 'assault' arrest as motorists queue for fuel
- 9 'Potential for something remarkable'? Residents on O2 Centre redevelopment
- 10 Hampstead house ravaged by early morning blaze
She added: “It’s really great news for the staff – some of them have been here since before I was born.”