Burst water main in Swiss Cottage will lead to days of traffic disruption
- Credit: Archant
A water main burst outside Swiss Cottage Underground station this afternoon, closing the southbound lane in Finchley Road.
Repairs to the 15-inch water pipe will cause days of disruption in Finchley Road while Thames Water carry out the works.
The utility company will have to dig down to fix the pipe, refill it with concrete, leave the concrete to set for 24 hours and then re-tarmac the road.
The southbound lane of Finchley Road has been closed this afternoon while Thames Water carry out emergency repair works to prevent any leaking into Swiss Cottage Tube station.
But Thames Water says it may have to close the northbound lane as well.
You may also want to watch:
Engineers will work overnight to make the repairs.
A spokesperson for Thames Water said: “We are carrying out emergency repairs to a burst 15-inch water main outside Swiss Cottage station.
- 1 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 2 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 3 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 6 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 7 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 8 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 9 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 10 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
“Some traffic lanes in Finchley Road have been closed to allow us to dig down to the pipe.
“We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.”