Burst water main in Swiss Cottage will lead to days of traffic disruption
- Credit: Archant
A water main burst outside Swiss Cottage Underground station this afternoon, closing the southbound lane in Finchley Road.
Repairs to the 15-inch water pipe will cause days of disruption in Finchley Road while Thames Water carry out the works.
The utility company will have to dig down to fix the pipe, refill it with concrete, leave the concrete to set for 24 hours and then re-tarmac the road.
The southbound lane of Finchley Road has been closed this afternoon while Thames Water carry out emergency repair works to prevent any leaking into Swiss Cottage Tube station.
But Thames Water says it may have to close the northbound lane as well.
Engineers will work overnight to make the repairs.
A spokesperson for Thames Water said: “We are carrying out emergency repairs to a burst 15-inch water main outside Swiss Cottage station.
- 1 Landlord scales back 40% rent rise - but it is too late for some tenants
- 2 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 3 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 4 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 5 The most expensive homes sold in Camden in November 2021
- 6 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
- 7 Murphy's Yard 825-home tower block development to be 'car free'
- 8 Jimmy C's wife on how she is keeping 'his memory alive'
- 9 'Large cannabis factory’ discovered on Frobisher Road
- 10 Highgate pub gets the go-ahead to reopen
“Some traffic lanes in Finchley Road have been closed to allow us to dig down to the pipe.
“We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.”