Burst water main in Swiss Cottage will lead to days of traffic disruption
- Credit: Archant
A water main burst outside Swiss Cottage Underground station this afternoon, closing the southbound lane in Finchley Road.
Repairs to the 15-inch water pipe will cause days of disruption in Finchley Road while Thames Water carry out the works.
The utility company will have to dig down to fix the pipe, refill it with concrete, leave the concrete to set for 24 hours and then re-tarmac the road.
The southbound lane of Finchley Road has been closed this afternoon while Thames Water carry out emergency repair works to prevent any leaking into Swiss Cottage Tube station.
But Thames Water says it may have to close the northbound lane as well.
You may also want to watch:
Engineers will work overnight to make the repairs.
A spokesperson for Thames Water said: “We are carrying out emergency repairs to a burst 15-inch water main outside Swiss Cottage station.
- 1 All Camden care home residents given Covid jab
- 2 Crouch End's 'Paul the Paper' bids farewell to Broadway stall
- 3 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 4 Mikel Arteta turns focus to new signings after Arsenal let fringe players leave
- 5 Arsenal legend Nigel Winterburn relieved to see Mesut Ozil depart
- 6 Councillors slam 'outrageous' change of plans for 100 Avenue Road
- 7 Plans for council homes to replace Highgate car wash
- 8 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 9 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing
- 10 Arsenal look to bounce back at home to West Ham
“Some traffic lanes in Finchley Road have been closed to allow us to dig down to the pipe.
“We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.”