Burgh House celebrates 30 years at heart of the community
This September marks the 30th anniversary of the reopening of Burgh House as a community arts centre after local activists campaigned to save the Grade I listed building in the 1970s. On Sunday September 13th a 30th Birthday Party celebration will be hel
This September marks the 30th anniversary of the reopening of Burgh House as a community arts centre after local activists campaigned to save the Grade I listed building in the 1970s.
On Sunday September 13th a 30th Birthday Party celebration will be held. The Heath and Hampstead Society, Camden History Society, and the Friends of Burgh House are all sponsoring events throughout the day. Activities are free and open to all, with the schedule including guided walks, music, a historical lecture, and interactive fun in the museum. The House will be open to the public from 12-5pm, and the Buttery Caf� from 9:30am-6pm. Please note that parking is very limited.
Visitors will also have a chance to view the Hampstead Museum's new exhibition, "Save Burgh House: 30 Years of the Burgh House Trust". The exhibition is based around an oral history project undertaken by museum staff and explores the nature of the Trust as a grassroots community organisation. Listen to stories of how the House was reopened for the public, see photographs and artefacts from the museum's collection, and try your hand at some creative activities.
Project Leader and Acting Curator of the Hampstead Museum, Susan Buhr, says "Burgh House is an incredible example of successful community action, and after 30 years it still has so much to offer both its longstanding supporters and a new generation of Hampstead residents."
You may also want to watch:
Already have plans on Sunday the 13th? Burgh House will also be participating in the London Open House Weekend on 19th-20th September. Always free to the public, for the Open House Weekend Burgh House will be providing architectural self-guided tours.
Please direct enquiries to Susan Buhr on 0207 431 0144 or email@example.com
- 1 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 2 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 3 'The Bell of Hampstead': New pub to take over Cork and Bottle site
- 4 Discover Crouch End's very own cathedral
- 5 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Anger as second audit into £23m 'Mary Celeste' office block is delayed
- 7 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 8 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
- 9 London Marathon and charity event in aid of Diabetes UK
- 10 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath