Burgh House celebrates 30 years at heart of the community
This September marks the 30th anniversary of the reopening of Burgh House as a community arts centre after local activists campaigned to save the Grade I listed building in the 1970s. On Sunday September 13th a 30th Birthday Party celebration will be hel
This September marks the 30th anniversary of the reopening of Burgh House as a community arts centre after local activists campaigned to save the Grade I listed building in the 1970s.
On Sunday September 13th a 30th Birthday Party celebration will be held. The Heath and Hampstead Society, Camden History Society, and the Friends of Burgh House are all sponsoring events throughout the day. Activities are free and open to all, with the schedule including guided walks, music, a historical lecture, and interactive fun in the museum. The House will be open to the public from 12-5pm, and the Buttery Caf� from 9:30am-6pm. Please note that parking is very limited.
Visitors will also have a chance to view the Hampstead Museum's new exhibition, "Save Burgh House: 30 Years of the Burgh House Trust". The exhibition is based around an oral history project undertaken by museum staff and explores the nature of the Trust as a grassroots community organisation. Listen to stories of how the House was reopened for the public, see photographs and artefacts from the museum's collection, and try your hand at some creative activities.
Project Leader and Acting Curator of the Hampstead Museum, Susan Buhr, says "Burgh House is an incredible example of successful community action, and after 30 years it still has so much to offer both its longstanding supporters and a new generation of Hampstead residents."
Already have plans on Sunday the 13th? Burgh House will also be participating in the London Open House Weekend on 19th-20th September. Always free to the public, for the Open House Weekend Burgh House will be providing architectural self-guided tours.
Please direct enquiries to Susan Buhr on 0207 431 0144 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 8 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 Fundraising year begins at William IV pub in Hampstead