Burgh House Buttery concerns were based on rumour
What a pity Nicole Sochor did not speak to anyone in authority at Burgh House before writing her letter based on rumours about the future of the Buttery Garden Café in this splendid Grade I-listed building.The Buttery has been open on weekdays when the H
What a pity Nicole Sochor did not speak to anyone in authority at Burgh House before writing her letter based on rumours about the future of the Buttery Garden Café in this splendid Grade I-listed building.
The Buttery has been open on weekdays when the House is open ever since Burgh House opened as a community arts centre and Hampstead Museum in the late 1970s, and the Trustees are keen to keep this Hampstead tradition going.
The truth about the Buttery is not that Lori Poulton and Tracy Ford have lost their contract, but that they chose to terminate it. The Burgh House Trust was delighted with the food and the event catering service they offered in the House and although we went along with their request to open only at the weekend last winter, we received many complaints and we decided not to repeat the experiment.
We were surprised and saddened when they gave us three months notice at the beginning of May but, after a two-month search, we have appointed enthusiastic new caterers who will be based in the Buttery. Their ambitious plans for the future include increasing the café's opening hours and, possibly in the future, even serving evening meals.
You may also want to watch:
There will be no "fast food", everything will be prepared on the premises, and it will not be operated by a large company or a "chain". After a very short handover period at the end of this month, it will continue to offer high quality meals, snacks, teas and coffee at reasonable prices.
There will be another short break during September when the House will be sheathed in scaffolding whilst the whole of the outside is painted. This opportunity is being taken to refurbish the Buttery and kitchen so the full new service will start in October.
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 4 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 7 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 8 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 9 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
The Trustees are convinced that Ms Sochor, and anyone else who loves the Buttery, will not be disappointed by the new arrangements. Nobody treasures Burgh House and Hampstead traditions more than we do!
Chairman, Burgh House Trust
New End Square, NW3