Brutal attack on officers prompts head protection
Protective headgear is to be issued to all housing patrol officers after two were set upon by a 14-strong gang of boys in Gospel Oak on Sunday. The two Camden Council officers were investigating reports of anti-social behaviour at Kiln Place just before 9
Protective headgear is to be issued to all housing patrol officers after two were set upon by a 14-strong gang of boys in Gospel Oak on Sunday.
The two Camden Council officers were investigating reports of anti-social behaviour at Kiln Place just before 9pm. As they walked along Lamble Street, a stone was thrown at them. One boy then approached and swung a metal scooter towards them. When one officer tried to restrain the attacker, about 14 black youths, aged 14 to 15, punched and kicked them.
The victims were taken to a hospital. One, aged 29, suffered reddening and swelling to his forehead and back of head. The other, aged 30, suffered bruising and swelling to his left thumb.
In March, a housing officer suffered head injuries when youths threw stones at him. Last month, Gospel Oak Safer Neighbourhoods Team launched a crackdown on youth disorder. Over one weekend, they carried out more than 160 stop and searches against youngsters.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokeswoman said: "Patrol officers have been issued with protective headgear and as a short term measure patrol teams will double up when covering Kiln Place." Anyone with information should call Camden police on 020-7404 1212 or on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 2 What's next? Covid-19 and the future of Hampstead Village
- 3 Vivianne Miedema voted Women's Super League's greatest ever player
- 4 Arsenal boss Arteta faces injury crisis decisions
- 5 Highgate's Food Bank Aid's year of giving - and a search for a bigger home
- 6 For Nazanin's sake, hostage-taking must be a nuclear deal issue
- 7 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 8 Tulip Siddiq MP: 'Nurseries are at the brink of collapse'
- 9 Crackdown on 'blue badge' disability parking fraud in Haringey
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour