Search

British Museum evacuated and fire fighters called after light fitting overheated

PUBLISHED: 15:55 11 May 2016 | UPDATED: 15:56 11 May 2016

The British Museum was evacuated after a light fitting overheated.

The British Museum was evacuated after a light fitting overheated.

PA/Press Association Images

Around 4000 people were evacuated and London Fire Brigade called to the British Museum after a light fitting overheated.

The fire brigade were called to investigate after visitors spotted smoke in the building.

But the cause was not a fire and was instead an overheated light fitting.

London Fire Brigade said 4000 were evacuated from the museum on Great Russell Street.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “We were called to the museum because of reports of smoke. An investigation uncovered the cause to be a overheated light fitting. The brigade has now left the scene.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ham&High. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Hampstead Highgate Express