British Museum evacuated and fire fighters called after light fitting overheated

The British Museum was evacuated after a light fitting overheated.

The British Museum was evacuated after a light fitting overheated. - Credit: PA WIRE

Around 4000 people were evacuated and London Fire Brigade called to the British Museum after a light fitting overheated.

The fire brigade were called to investigate after visitors spotted smoke in the building.

But the cause was not a fire and was instead an overheated light fitting.

London Fire Brigade said 4000 were evacuated from the museum on Great Russell Street.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “We were called to the museum because of reports of smoke. An investigation uncovered the cause to be a overheated light fitting. The brigade has now left the scene.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter