Brian Coleman still welcome at Tory dinners
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Former Tory firebrand Cllr Brian Coleman seemed remarkably chilled as he attended a Conservative fundraiser despite criminal proceedings hanging over his head.
The 51-year-old, who hit the headlines last month after his claim that he had bedded a former Arsenal striker, is facing one charge of assault by beating after allegedly attacking a café owner in Barnet last year.
But the former London Assembly member for Camden and Barnet seemed without a care in the world as he sipped champagne with party members at a fundraiser for the Hampstead and Kilburn branch last week.
Although he has been suspended from the national Conservative Party, he was invited to the event at the Freemasons Arms, Downshire Hill, as a “friend” rather than in a political capacity.
Mr Coleman has allowed his membership of the local party to lapse as he has no intention of trying to win back his assembly seat, according to a party insider.
You may also want to watch:
“He is still welcome at Camden Conservative events,” said a source.
- 1 'Family unit': 28 Church Row wins readers' favourite restaurant
- 2 Haringey Green Lanes flat fire sees 40 firefighters tackle blaze
- 3 O2 Centre redevelopment: Decision draws on Camden planning guidance
- 4 Crouch End salesman who nursed mum runs marathon for Diabetes UK
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Explore 8 of north London's prettiest streets
- 7 For sale: Suggs' former 'bachelor pad' with gold-gilded underground bar
- 8 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath