Brewery insists it has no plans to change “beautiful” Holly Bush pub in Hampstead
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
A campaign is gathering pace to protect the historic character of an 18th century watering hole after refurbishment plans were lodged at the town hall.
Fuller’s, the owner of the Grade II-listed Holly Bush, has now submitted plans to overhaul the building in Holly Mount, Hampstead.
The brewery wants to install new kitchen equipment, rebuild the chimney to tackle an odour problem affecting neighbours, and make further internal alterations including to original features such as the bar counter, which is mentioned in its listing.
When rumours of the refurbishment first surfaced some months ago, Fuller’s sought to reassure regulars that the pub’s charm would not be damaged.
But having now seen the planning application, many remain concerned.
Jessica Learmond-Criqui of the Hampstead Shops Campaign, who has launched a petition to save the pub, still fears Fuller’s is undertaking a major kitchen overhaul because it wants to make the business more of a restaurant.
“It looks like they’re going that way despite the representations by the community,” she said.
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Spurs survive 'Lasagna-gate 2' and it's over to Arsenal
- 3 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
- 4 West Hampstead woman's kids' clothes success story
- 5 'Lianne La Havas gets big love from Koko crowd'
- 6 Motorcyclist injured in Highgate Hill collision
- 7 Hampstead pharmacy under investigation over extra charges for prescriptions
- 8 'The law isn't important to us': Car tyres deflated by activists in Camden
- 9 Beloved father choked to death on cauliflower after Highgate Care Home 'neglect'
- 10 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
“They’re not listening to what the community is telling them.”
A spokesman for Fuller’s said: “Fuller’s have been consulting with local residents and Camden Council for over a year in regard to this planning application.
“The principal aim of the proposed works is to improve the kitchen extract system. We will also be conducting some essential building maintenance works and improving the kitchen. We would reiterate that we have no plans to change the character of this beautiful pub.”