Breaking News: Plans to close Hampstead's Duke of Hamilton pub ditched
A CONTROVERSIAL application to turn a much loved Hampstead pub into two luxury homes has been dramatically withdrawn by developers today. Criterion Asset s plans to convert New End s Duke of Hamilton pub into accommodation have been spiked to the delight
A CONTROVERSIAL application to turn a much loved Hampstead pub into two luxury homes has been dramatically withdrawn by developers today, the Ham&High can reveal.
Criterion Asset's plans to convert New End's Duke of Hamilton pub into accommodation have been spiked to the delight of the hundreds of residents and regulars who had opposed the scheme.
Those protestors who had written to Camden Council to object are claiming an early victory but they know the battle to save the pub is far from over.
Hampstead councillor Chris Knight, who has been rallying support for real ale pub, said: "I am absolutely delighted. This is the first step in the fight but the protestors must be on guard because I am sure the developers will come again."
You may also want to watch:
The Ham&High understands over 300 letters of objection, including one from the Heath and Hampstead Society, have been sent to the council since the plans were first lodged in early June.
A recent tree preservation order placed on an old Ash tree at the rear of the pub is thought to have been responsible for scuppering the application.
- 1 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 2 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 3 CQC says Royal Free 'comprehensively responded' to maternity issues
- 4 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 5 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 8 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes
- 9 Camden councillors rally against constituency boundary changes
- 10 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
Camden Council confirmed the application had been withdrawn this morning.