Breaking News: Plans to close Hampstead's Duke of Hamilton pub ditched
A CONTROVERSIAL application to turn a much loved Hampstead pub into two luxury homes has been dramatically withdrawn by developers today. Criterion Asset s plans to convert New End s Duke of Hamilton pub into accommodation have been spiked to the delight
A CONTROVERSIAL application to turn a much loved Hampstead pub into two luxury homes has been dramatically withdrawn by developers today, the Ham&High can reveal.
Criterion Asset's plans to convert New End's Duke of Hamilton pub into accommodation have been spiked to the delight of the hundreds of residents and regulars who had opposed the scheme.
Those protestors who had written to Camden Council to object are claiming an early victory but they know the battle to save the pub is far from over.
Hampstead councillor Chris Knight, who has been rallying support for real ale pub, said: "I am absolutely delighted. This is the first step in the fight but the protestors must be on guard because I am sure the developers will come again."
You may also want to watch:
The Ham&High understands over 300 letters of objection, including one from the Heath and Hampstead Society, have been sent to the council since the plans were first lodged in early June.
A recent tree preservation order placed on an old Ash tree at the rear of the pub is thought to have been responsible for scuppering the application.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 5 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 6 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
- 7 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 10 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
Camden Council confirmed the application had been withdrawn this morning.