BREAKING NEWS: 90-year-old woman dies in Marylebone Road accident
A woman in her 90s has died after being hit by a lorry on Marylebone Road at about midday on Friday.
It is thought the woman was crossing the main road at a pedestrian crossing when the incident occurred.
The driver of the lorry has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
One witness said the woman looked “in a really bad way” with what appeared to be major head injuries suffered in the accident.
He added that police and paramedics spent at least 15 minutes attempting to revive the woman before she was moved into an ambulance and rushed to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington where she died.
The lorry driver has been taken to a central London police station where he remains in custody.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “The woman - aged in her 90s - was taken to a central London hospital, where she died shortly after arrival.
- 1 Bentley Motor blue plaque in North London 'prized off wall and stolen'
- 2 Free beach returns to Finchley Road for the summer
- 3 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 4 Royal Free denies allowing Tory MP to influence medical decision
- 5 Fences and padlocks at Primrose Hill once again
- 6 Camden councillors set to give themselves a pay rise
- 7 Alleged stalker sent '1,000 emails in a month’ to The Crown star Claire Foy
- 8 Opening date confirmed for new Finchley Road Aldi
- 9 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
“Her next of kin are yet to be informed.”
A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We were called at just after midday today to report a road traffic accident involving a pedestrian and lorry on Marylebone Road.”
She added: “The patient was in cardiac arrest and extensive efforts were made to resuscitate her at the scene and en route to hospital.”
Marylebone Road remained closed in both directions between Baker Street and Park Crescent for much of Friday afternoon while police investigated the scene.