BREAKING NEWS: 90-year-old woman dies in Marylebone Road accident
A woman in her 90s has died after being hit by a lorry on Marylebone Road at about midday on Friday.
It is thought the woman was crossing the main road at a pedestrian crossing when the incident occurred.
The driver of the lorry has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
One witness said the woman looked “in a really bad way” with what appeared to be major head injuries suffered in the accident.
He added that police and paramedics spent at least 15 minutes attempting to revive the woman before she was moved into an ambulance and rushed to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington where she died.
You may also want to watch:
The lorry driver has been taken to a central London police station where he remains in custody.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “The woman - aged in her 90s - was taken to a central London hospital, where she died shortly after arrival.
- 1 UK's first no chicken nugget shop pops up in Camden Town
- 2 Crunch! Eliana and Ariella's granola business success
- 3 'We've been forgotten': Homeless Muswell Hill family demand action
- 4 'Land grab': Muswell Hill Gail's accused of taking over pavement
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Meet the entrepreneur helping Londoners find the cool dining spots
- 8 Council denies liability for Church Row bollards car damage
- 9 'More than a shop': Storm in a Teacup in 100 nation-wide small businesses
- 10 How did a double-decker bus crash straight into a Crouch End house?
“Her next of kin are yet to be informed.”
A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We were called at just after midday today to report a road traffic accident involving a pedestrian and lorry on Marylebone Road.”
She added: “The patient was in cardiac arrest and extensive efforts were made to resuscitate her at the scene and en route to hospital.”
Marylebone Road remained closed in both directions between Baker Street and Park Crescent for much of Friday afternoon while police investigated the scene.