Brazilian star Alves is Boro dangerman in White Hart Lane clash
MIDDLESBORO played their best football of the season in back-to-back games against title contenders Chelsea and Manchester United, and Juande Ramos will not be underestimating Gareth Southgate s 14th placed outfit when they meet at the Lane on Saturday. M
MIDDLESBORO played their best football of the season in back-to-back games against title contenders Chelsea and Manchester United, and Juande Ramos will not be underestimating Gareth Southgate's 14th placed outfit when they meet at the Lane on Saturday.
Middlesbrough, with 35 points, trail the Lilywhites by five points and, like Tottenham, Southgate's much improved squad is targeting a top-10 finish.
The Riverside outfit have steadily improved since Southgate, their former skipper, took over from Steve McLaren, who left for the England job. Southgate, who had no previous managerial experience, was to many a surprise choice for many. However, Middlesbrough finished a respectable 14th as Southgate cut his managerial teeth.
And then, in his first full season in charge, he guided Boro to 12th place with 46 points.
You may also want to watch:
This season Southgate has reiterated his managerial skills. Last Sunday Boro matched Manchester United and looked to have snatched it when 2-1 ahead in the second half, before Wayne Rooney's late equaliser.
Alfonso Alves, Boro's £12m record signing, bagged his first two goals for his new club. The Brazil international, signed from Heerenveen in January, has taken time to adjust to English football.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 West Hampstead mum Nazanin 'loses appeal' in Iran
- 3 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 4 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 5 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 6 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 7 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 8 Charles de Gaulle's old Hampstead home on sale for £15m
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
George Boateng was another who impressed against United and can be expected to start on Saturday as can former Gunner Jeremie Aliadiere.
A week earlier, Boro had hit the woodwork three times against Chelsea at Stamsford Bridge and were desperately unlucky not to get at least a draw as they dominated the last half-hour.