Brazilian midfielder on verge of signing for Arsenal
BY JEM MAIDMENT Brazil midfielder Felipe Melo de Carvalho is on the verge of a move to Arsenal, according to his current club Fiorentina. Pantaleo Corvino, Sports Director for the Serie A side, confirmed late on Tuesday that he is in talks with the Gunners about the sale
Brazil midfielder Felipe Melo de Carvalho is on the verge of a move to Arsenal, according to his current club Fiorentina.
Pantaleo Corvino, Sports Director for the Serie A side, confirmed late on Tuesday that he is in talks with the Gunners about the sale of the 26-year-old.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is a long-time admirer of Melo, who previously played in Spain for Mallorca and Racing Santander and for Flamengo, Gremio and Cruzeiro back in his native Brazil.
Juventus are also known to be monitoring Melo, but Corvino believes he will move to Emirates Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
"Arsenal have made an offer for Melo and (Arsene) Wenger wants to speak with me again," he said.
"I've not excluded anything because we could also obtain an interesting exchange on a technical level, so I'm not ruling anything out."
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
Melo is no stranger to north London after making his international debut at Emirates in Brazil's 2-0 victory over Italy back in February.
Meanwhile, Arsenal's first team squad, minus several senior players who are being given extra time off after international commitments, returned to London Colney on Monday for pre-season training.