Brave teenagers tackled would-be muggers
BRAVE youngsters have been praised for stopping a pensioner getting mugged in Hampstead and then helping police track down the would-be robbers. The two teenagers, both 15, intervened when they saw two women trying to rob a woman in her 80s on the Finchle
BRAVE youngsters have been praised for stopping a pensioner getting mugged in Hampstead and then helping police track down the would-be robbers.
The two teenagers, both 15, intervened when they saw two women trying to rob a woman in her 80s on the Finchley Road, outside Waitrose.
After the robbery was disrupted, the women left the scene but were followed by the teenagers who called police.
The youngsters followed the women onto a 31 bus towards Kilburn High Road and kept police updated of their movements until they reached the bus in Belsize Road.
"Had it not been for the quick thinking and public spirited actions of the witnesses, the suspects could have potentially succeeded in taking the victim's property and they may have got away with it," said Detective Constable Andrew Grieve.
Following the drama around 5pm last Thursday two women, aged 22 and 36, were arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery and released on bail pending further enquiries.
- 1 Academy to crack down on 'boisterous' behaviour after inspection
- 2 Paddling pool to be open all week after pipes replaced
- 3 Heath patrols to increase after fisherman robbed at knifepoint
- 4 I want to philately! Freddie Mercury’s stamp collection goes on display
- 5 Firefighters renew e-scooter warning after Finchley blaze
- 6 Door-to-door patio cleaners con Belsize Park pensioner out of £1,300
- 7 'Gabriels stun Koko – superstardom seems inevitable'
- 8 Parliament Hill's second kite display an 'unqualified success'
- 9 New Wendy's opens its doors in Camden
- 10 'Buying maternity clothes seemed so wasteful': Former fashion editor's mission
Police are now appealing for the elderly victim, a black woman who was wearing a green coat and carrying a black bag, to come forward. Call Camden police on 020-8733 6971.