Brave teenagers tackled would-be muggers
BRAVE youngsters have been praised for stopping a pensioner getting mugged in Hampstead and then helping police track down the would-be robbers. The two teenagers, both 15, intervened when they saw two women trying to rob a woman in her 80s on the Finchle
BRAVE youngsters have been praised for stopping a pensioner getting mugged in Hampstead and then helping police track down the would-be robbers.
The two teenagers, both 15, intervened when they saw two women trying to rob a woman in her 80s on the Finchley Road, outside Waitrose.
After the robbery was disrupted, the women left the scene but were followed by the teenagers who called police.
The youngsters followed the women onto a 31 bus towards Kilburn High Road and kept police updated of their movements until they reached the bus in Belsize Road.
You may also want to watch:
"Had it not been for the quick thinking and public spirited actions of the witnesses, the suspects could have potentially succeeded in taking the victim's property and they may have got away with it," said Detective Constable Andrew Grieve.
Following the drama around 5pm last Thursday two women, aged 22 and 36, were arrested on suspicion of attempted robbery and released on bail pending further enquiries.
- 1 Old Hampstead police station sold by Department for Education at £4m loss
- 2 Man left with £1,200 vet bill after puppy 'mauled' on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Taste of Nawab: A community staple with Tripadvisor acclaim
- 4 Christmas at Kenwood: 'Winter wonderland' primed for Hampstead Heath
- 5 'Lobster-like creature' pulled from Hampstead Heath ladies' pond
- 6 Outdoor dining and one-way traffic to stay in St John's Wood High Street
- 7 Crouch End entrepreneur supports Moroccan women with textile business
- 8 Skyscraper plans rejected by Westminster Council over damage to views
- 9 High Court date set for disabled swimmer's challenge over ponds charges
- 10 Man stabbed on Finchley Road
Police are now appealing for the elderly victim, a black woman who was wearing a green coat and carrying a black bag, to come forward. Call Camden police on 020-8733 6971.