Boyzone star's death remains a mystery
Boyzone star Stephen Gately did not die from drugs or through foul play, his family said today. The 33-year-old singer, who lives in Highgate, was found dead yesterday while on holiday with his partner in Majorca. Tributes from the world of showbusiness h
Boyzone star Stephen Gately did not die from drugs or through foul play, his family said today.
The 33-year-old singer, who lives in Highgate, was found dead yesterday while on holiday with his partner in Majorca.
Tributes from the world of showbusiness have flooded in, and his Boyzone colleagues last night flew out to the resort in Port Andratx.
The band's mentor Louis Walsh was said to be devastated and last night pulled out of the X Factor live results show.
The cause of death is still unknown but Mr Gately's family have ruled out any suggestion of foul play or drugs misuse. A post-mortem is expected to be carried out later this week.
Boyzone were one of the biggest pop bands of the late 1990s and scored a string of hit singles including six number ones.
- 1 Coldplay at Wembley Stadium: Setlist and photos
- 2 'Wet End Lane': Leak could take five days to fix
- 3 Graham Chapman's Highgate haunt gets a refurb
- 4 West Hampstead man fatally stabbed in Ealing
- 5 Victim speaks out after Hampstead machete robbery
- 6 Review: Moreish Mediterranean cuisine at Muswell Hill cafe with roastery
- 7 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 8 'No one hurt' as branch crashes to ground at Hampstead Heath
- 9 Elderly disabled woman 'racially abused' on Camden bus
- 10 Olivia Newton-John: From West Hampstead to worldwide fame
After splitting up in 2000, the group reformed last year and a new album was in the pipeline. Their last performance together was just two weeks ago at the Big Gig Weekend at the Royal Bath and West Showground at Shepton Mallet (pictured).
In a statement, the band said: "We have shared such wonderful times together over the years and were all looking forward to sharing many more.
"Stephen was a beautiful person in both body and spirit. Our love and sympathy go out to Andrew and Stephen's family. We love you and will miss you forever.