Boyzone star's death remains a mystery
Boyzone star Stephen Gately did not die from drugs or through foul play, his family said today. The 33-year-old singer, who lives in Highgate, was found dead yesterday while on holiday with his partner in Majorca. Tributes from the world of showbusiness h
Boyzone star Stephen Gately did not die from drugs or through foul play, his family said today.
The 33-year-old singer, who lives in Highgate, was found dead yesterday while on holiday with his partner in Majorca.
Tributes from the world of showbusiness have flooded in, and his Boyzone colleagues last night flew out to the resort in Port Andratx.
The band's mentor Louis Walsh was said to be devastated and last night pulled out of the X Factor live results show.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of death is still unknown but Mr Gately's family have ruled out any suggestion of foul play or drugs misuse. A post-mortem is expected to be carried out later this week.
Boyzone were one of the biggest pop bands of the late 1990s and scored a string of hit singles including six number ones.
- 1 Muswell Hill man captures picture of car bursting into flames in high street
- 2 'Forever grateful': Community steps up after man's dog dies on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Primrose Hill 'Howloween' party to support rescue dogs
- 4 Flick Rea: Community celebrates 'Empress of West Hampstead'
- 5 Muswell Hill couple slam planning laws as chipboard outhouse appears
- 6 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
- 7 Supermarkets report shortages as shelves left empty
- 8 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 9 'Unacceptable': Ofsted inspection reveals failures of Haringey Council SEND
- 10 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
After splitting up in 2000, the group reformed last year and a new album was in the pipeline. Their last performance together was just two weeks ago at the Big Gig Weekend at the Royal Bath and West Showground at Shepton Mallet (pictured).
In a statement, the band said: "We have shared such wonderful times together over the years and were all looking forward to sharing many more.
"Stephen was a beautiful person in both body and spirit. Our love and sympathy go out to Andrew and Stephen's family. We love you and will miss you forever.