Boyzone singer devastated after burglars raid his Highgate home
By Bob Antrim Boyzone star Stephen Gately has been left devastated after burglars raided his plush Highgate home and got away with £80,000 worth of his jewellery. The singer, 32, was distraught after discovering that among the haul was a £20,000 custom-m
By Bob Antrim
Boyzone star Stephen Gately has been left devastated after burglars raided his plush Highgate home and got away with £80,000 worth of his jewellery.
The singer, 32, was distraught after discovering that among the haul was a £20,000 custom-made Rolex watch he bought with his first pay cheque after the Irish boy band reached the top of the charts.
The thieves also pocketed a flawless Cartier diamond worth £20,000 and a diamond-encrusted bracelet given to him as a gift by his life partner Andy Coules. The pair married in a civil ceremony two years ago and have lived in the seven-bedroom home since tying the knot.
You may also want to watch:
They were not at home when the raiders struck and Mr Gately told the Ham&High: ''I'm deeply upset because these items had great sentimental value and the reality is that they'll probably be sold off for a fraction of their true value in some second-hand shop.
''Of all the things I've lost, I'm most upset about the Rolex watch as all the boys in the band bought one as a memento with our first pay cheques when we became famous.''
- 1 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 2 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 5 New Belsize restaurant Cinder enjoys busy opening after lockdown delays
- 6 'Peace and Quiet' of Muswell Hill in band's new video
- 7 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
- 8 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 9 Temple Fortune's Cohens Jewellers celebrates turning 50 - a year late
- 10 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
Mr Gately has now had a state-of-the-art security and system installed to back up the surveillance cameras he already had at his home.
Despite the break-in he has no plans to leave the area.
''I really love Highgate and wouldn't move away for the world. It has a great vibe and the people here are brilliant. I also love going out to Crouch End's restaurants - it's just such a great area to live in.''
The singer has recently returned from a comeback tour with Boyzone which included sell-out concerts at London's 02 Arena and Wembley Arena.