Bould's young Gunners relive Anfield dream as Arsenal clinch FA Youth Cup
Arsenal won the FA Youth Cup for the seventh time in their history after seeing off Liverpool in the second leg of the final on Tuesday night. The Gunners already led 4-1 from the first leg at Emirates last Friday – watched by a fantastic crowd of more th
Arsenal won the FA Youth Cup for the seventh time in their history after seeing off Liverpool in the second leg of the final on Tuesday night.
The Gunners already led 4-1 from the first leg at Emirates last Friday - watched by a fantastic crowd of more than 33,600 - before Sanchez Watt burst past three defenders to fire them ahead at Anfield midway through the first half. A Daniel Ayala own goal gave Arsenal victory on the night after young Finnish striker Lauri Dalla Valla equalised for Liverpool, who were cheered on by a crowd of 7,792 which included Rafa Benitez and Jamie Carragher.
Manager Steve Bould fielded nine Englishman and two Frenchman in his starting XI, a sign domestic players are being given their chance at the club.
Arsenal skipper Jay Emmanuel-Thomas lifted the coveted trophy 20 years to the day after namesake Michael scored the now famous dramatic title-winning goal at the same venue for George Graham's legendary side.
You may also want to watch:
Arsenal have now won the FA Youth Cup seven times, following on from successes in 1966, 1971, 1988, 1994, 2000 and 2001.
- 1 Covid, O2, police, village square, Notting Hill Genesis and the Suburb
- 2 Pictures: Fun for families as the snow arrives on Hampstead Heath
- 3 Women attacked by wrench-wielding man in Hampstead
- 4 South Hampstead neighbours mourn tree felled by Storm Christoph
- 5 Buyers claim luxury flats are 'nightmare' construction site
- 6 Keeping your distance: Hampstead joggers and creperie crowds
- 7 Haverstock Hill cycle lanes order scrapped by Camden Council
- 8 The snow is beautiful and fun - but during Covid we must stick to the rules
- 9 'Big victory,' says man behind Haverstock Hill cycle lanes legal challenge
- 10 Camden residents offered symptom-free Covid testing