Boris wins stay of execution for doomed police stations
MAYOR Boris Johnson s vow to look at all the Met s properties has won a stay of execution for doomed police stations. The Mayor ordered officers not to sell stations until adequate alternative buildings are found. But this could still mean the death knell
MAYOR Boris Johnson's vow to look at all the Met's properties has won a stay of execution for doomed police stations.
The Mayor ordered officers not to sell stations until adequate alternative buildings are found.
But this could still mean the death knell for the stations on Rosslyn Hill, Holmes Road in Kentish Town and Finchley Road in Golders Green and smaller "front counter" replacements for Safer Neighbourhoods Teams.
London Assembly Member for Barnet and Camden Brian Coleman said: "He has told the Metropolitan Police Authority to re-examine the whole strategy and go back to the drawing board to find alternative premises."
You may also want to watch:
However, what will be included in the new premises has yet to be established and has not allayed fears that a large number of officers will be moved out of Hampstead, Kentish Town and Golders Green.
Front counter services still look set to stay, while a central patrol base in Holborn could serve the whole of Camden.
- 1 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 2 Man, 26, stabbed in Camden 'fight'
- 3 David Amess murder: Met searches London addresses
- 4 'Heart of the community': Muswell Hill Library celebrates 90 years
- 5 West Hampstead Women's Institute celebrates 10-year milestone
- 6 Tributes paid to Primrose Hill mother-of-four as fundraiser launched
- 7 Gay music hall icon Fred Barnes to be honoured with Maida Vale plaque
- 8 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 9 The Outsider: Residents take aim at plans for high street pub
- 10 Coldplay and Ed Sheeran to perform at Earthshot Prize ceremony at Ally Pally
A meeting of London's coordination and policing committee is being held on July 4 to discuss the proposals.