Boris: the eco reality doesn't match the rhetoric
IN response to criticisms of his environmental record, Boris Johnson lists a series of policies he claims demonstrate his green credentials (Boris has his shoulder to the eco wheel, H&H letters May 14). As is so often the case with Boris, the reality fall
IN response to criticisms of his environmental record, Boris Johnson lists a series of policies he claims demonstrate his green credentials (Boris has his shoulder to the eco wheel, H&H letters May 14).
As is so often the case with Boris, the reality falls well short of the rhetoric.
He refers to his opposition to the expansion of Heathrow, but omits to mention that he advocates the construction of a new airport in the Thames.
He says he will achieve "a hybrid bus fleet by 2012", but his transport plan commits him to introducing 360 hybrid buses by then - out of a total fleet of 8,300.
You may also want to watch:
Boris says he wants "a cleaner, greener London", but he has suspended the third phase of the Low Emission Zone which cuts traffic pollution by deterring the most polluting vehicles from driving into London.
There is now a real possibility that we will fail to meet European Union air quality targets, which could lead to fines of up to �300 million.
- 1 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Crouch End Vampires help feed homeless with soup kitchen fundraiser
- 4 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's
- 5 Rebuilt Carlton Tavern will be 'heart of the community' say hopeful landlords
- 6 West Hampstead restaurant cooks for NHS carers
- 7 Lord's Cricket Ground used as Covid-19 vaccination centre
- 8 Is lockdown working in north London? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 9 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 10 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
As a result, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has threatened to intervene and direct the Mayor to implement measures to improve air quality.
Nothing could better illustrate the gulf between Boris's warm words about the environment and the ruinous effects of his policies.