Boris: the eco reality doesn't match the rhetoric
IN response to criticisms of his environmental record, Boris Johnson lists a series of policies he claims demonstrate his green credentials (Boris has his shoulder to the eco wheel, H&H letters May 14). As is so often the case with Boris, the reality fall
IN response to criticisms of his environmental record, Boris Johnson lists a series of policies he claims demonstrate his green credentials (Boris has his shoulder to the eco wheel, H&H letters May 14).
As is so often the case with Boris, the reality falls well short of the rhetoric.
He refers to his opposition to the expansion of Heathrow, but omits to mention that he advocates the construction of a new airport in the Thames.
He says he will achieve "a hybrid bus fleet by 2012", but his transport plan commits him to introducing 360 hybrid buses by then - out of a total fleet of 8,300.
You may also want to watch:
Boris says he wants "a cleaner, greener London", but he has suspended the third phase of the Low Emission Zone which cuts traffic pollution by deterring the most polluting vehicles from driving into London.
There is now a real possibility that we will fail to meet European Union air quality targets, which could lead to fines of up to �300 million.
- 1 Car crashes through South Hampstead garden wall - cyclist seriously injured
- 2 Abandoned burger trailer finally removed from Muswell Hill street
- 3 Senior councillors knew of chance to buy office block for £12m less than they paid
- 4 The Heath, exhaust theft, public access, Centene, the Streatery and more
- 5 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 6 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 7 Boy George and Bananarama join Kenwood 2021 concert line up
- 8 Helen McCrory: 'Mighty' Tufnell Park actor dies aged 52
- 9 Buyers launch legal action after £75k bill for flammable cladding
- 10 Developer's plan for six houses in old pub car park in Highgate Hill
As a result, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has threatened to intervene and direct the Mayor to implement measures to improve air quality.
Nothing could better illustrate the gulf between Boris's warm words about the environment and the ruinous effects of his policies.