Boris Johnson backs Westminster Council’s Silver Sunday for elderly residents
London Mayor Boris Johnson is among a host of celebrities urging residents to support a council run day of events for elderly residents on Sunday.
Dubbed ‘Silver Sunday’, the day will see older residents treated to a range of free events from swimming to Zumba dancing.
The Mayor said: “I am hugely heartened by the enthusiasm Silver Sunday has generated with it not only being taken up by other London Boroughs, such as Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea, but also in other parts of the country.”
“I am delighted to be able to proffer my heartfelt thanks to older Londoners who make such a valuable contribution to making this a fantastic world city.
“I urge all older Londoners to seek out one of many events and activities that have been organized for the day and use it as an opportunity to try something new and make friends.”
You may also want to watch:
Comedian and impressionist Rory Bremner has also pledged his support to Silver Sunday, saying: “Much of the last two months has been spent enjoying the fantastic achievements of our greatest young athletes. Yet the summer began with Jubilee celebrations marking the contribution of one of our greatest octogenarians. For a moment, through the Jubilee, the country reflected on the extraordinary achievements and lives led by our older citizens. Silver Sunday should capture some of that, along with a simple appreciation of our older neighbours, relatives, friends and strangers.”
Actor Joanna Lumley and talk show host Michael Parkinson have also got behind the day, which the council hopes will be taken up nationwide.
- 1 'Silver lining of lockdown': Blockheads saxophonist brings Muswell Hill cheer
- 2 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 3 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 4 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 5 Highgate reopens: Pubs and salons 'elated' to be back as lockdown eases
- 6 Child artworks breathe life into Hampstead Heath and Gospel Oak bridge
- 7 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 8 Wac Arts: West End stars among ex-students who can 'no longer endorse' charity
- 9 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 10 Locals celebrate as the Carlton Tavern finally re-opens
A full list of the activities on offer can be found online at www.westminster.gov.uk/silversunday.