Boris goes all bendy on the buses
IT was really depressing news to hear that Boris Johnson has announced that some public transport fares in London will be raised by almost 13 per cent from January. London s tube and buses are all absolutely packed throughout the day. Many low income fami
IT was really depressing news to hear that Boris Johnson has announced that some public transport fares in London will be raised by almost 13 per cent from January.
London's tube and buses are all absolutely packed throughout the day. Many low income families and workers in my ward rely on the bus as an affordable way of getting round London without driving.
Such a huge rise if going to hit people on fixed income the hardest and really does show the depth the Tories will go to. You have to ask what will happen next?
In the future the Freedom Pass that gives so many older people the ability to get out and about on public transport could well be cut if the Tories come to power. Thatcher famously said: ''Any man who finds himself on a bus after the age of 30 can count himself a failure,'' and this seems to be the attitude of Boris and Tories throughout London.
The Lib Dems in Camden always vote with their Tory bedfellows, and it remains to be seen whether they will speak against this fair hike.
CLLR Jonathan Simpson
- 1 Barnet: Three arrested as victim of fatal stabbing named
- 2 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 3 What is the rare 'monkeypox' being treated at the Royal Free?
- 4 Barnet: Two men charged following fatal High Road stabbing
- 5 TfL: Revamped Northern line latest addition to ever-improving network
- 6 Businesses hail return of Highgate's Fair in the Square
- 7 Court: Disciplinary rules not followed in 'unfair' sacking, lawyer suggests
- 8 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 9 St John's Wood nursery 'requires improvement' after surprise Ofsted visit
- 10 Man in his 30s stabbed to death
(King's Cross ward)
Deputy Leader of the Labour Group