Boris goes all bendy on the buses
IT was really depressing news to hear that Boris Johnson has announced that some public transport fares in London will be raised by almost 13 per cent from January. London s tube and buses are all absolutely packed throughout the day. Many low income fami
IT was really depressing news to hear that Boris Johnson has announced that some public transport fares in London will be raised by almost 13 per cent from January.
London's tube and buses are all absolutely packed throughout the day. Many low income families and workers in my ward rely on the bus as an affordable way of getting round London without driving.
Such a huge rise if going to hit people on fixed income the hardest and really does show the depth the Tories will go to. You have to ask what will happen next?
In the future the Freedom Pass that gives so many older people the ability to get out and about on public transport could well be cut if the Tories come to power. Thatcher famously said: ''Any man who finds himself on a bus after the age of 30 can count himself a failure,'' and this seems to be the attitude of Boris and Tories throughout London.
You may also want to watch:
The Lib Dems in Camden always vote with their Tory bedfellows, and it remains to be seen whether they will speak against this fair hike.
CLLR Jonathan Simpson
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Lockdown easing April 12 live updates: North London shops and pubs reopen
- 4 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 5 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 6 'It's a godsend': Hampstead pubs and shops back serving the community
- 7 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 9 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 10 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
(King's Cross ward)
Deputy Leader of the Labour Group