Boris goes all bendy on the buses
IT was really depressing news to hear that Boris Johnson has announced that some public transport fares in London will be raised by almost 13 per cent from January. London s tube and buses are all absolutely packed throughout the day. Many low income fami
IT was really depressing news to hear that Boris Johnson has announced that some public transport fares in London will be raised by almost 13 per cent from January.
London's tube and buses are all absolutely packed throughout the day. Many low income families and workers in my ward rely on the bus as an affordable way of getting round London without driving.
Such a huge rise if going to hit people on fixed income the hardest and really does show the depth the Tories will go to. You have to ask what will happen next?
In the future the Freedom Pass that gives so many older people the ability to get out and about on public transport could well be cut if the Tories come to power. Thatcher famously said: ''Any man who finds himself on a bus after the age of 30 can count himself a failure,'' and this seems to be the attitude of Boris and Tories throughout London.
You may also want to watch:
The Lib Dems in Camden always vote with their Tory bedfellows, and it remains to be seen whether they will speak against this fair hike.
CLLR Jonathan Simpson
- 1 Hundreds gather on Primrose Hill to mourn Nicole Hurley
- 2 'Let's save The Victoria pub in Highgate'
- 3 Primrose Hill candlelight vigil to celebrate life of Nicole Hurley
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Hampstead Miss Universe GB finalist champions mixed-heritage representation
- 7 Guilty: Kentish Town man convicted of murdering Jack Ampadu
- 8 Former pupils launch creative fund to honour inspirational teacher
- 9 Man charged with murder of Nicole Hurley in Primrose Hill
- 10 Koko to return with extra venues and community spaces for musicians
(King's Cross ward)
Deputy Leader of the Labour Group