Boris dancing on the Heath to welcome the Olympics
THE Olympic opening ceremony was marked in a very different manner on Hampstead Heath. While fireworks and parades wowed the crowds in Beijing, a group of madcap campaigners took to the Heath for a spot of Boris dancing last Friday. Hampstead eccentric
THE Olympic opening ceremony was marked in a very different manner on Hampstead Heath.
While fireworks and parades wowed the crowds in Beijing, a group of madcap campaigners took to the Heath for a spot of "Boris dancing" last Friday.
Hampstead eccentric Rainbow George - real name George Weiss - led white-wigged clowns dancing the klutz and local duo Lucy Sage and Phil Saatchi played revolutionary music.
A statement of "war on error" was also read out by local actor James Faulkner, who called on people to liberate themselves from the governing classes - "those silly arses".
You may also want to watch:
Crooner Ronnie Carroll was also among supporters of the bizarre event - brought about after Mr Weiss took out a £300 bet that aliens would land during the Games.
Asked about his chances, he said: "I've been given 3,000 to one for what I believe is an evens bet.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 5 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 6 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 7 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 8 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 9 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 10 Modern murder mysteries set in the heart of Hampstead
"Aliens wouldn't come to disrupt the start of things, they'd come at the end when the torch is being passed on to Boris.