Boris dancing on the Heath to welcome the Olympics
THE Olympic opening ceremony was marked in a very different manner on Hampstead Heath. While fireworks and parades wowed the crowds in Beijing, a group of madcap campaigners took to the Heath for a spot of Boris dancing last Friday. Hampstead eccentric
THE Olympic opening ceremony was marked in a very different manner on Hampstead Heath.
While fireworks and parades wowed the crowds in Beijing, a group of madcap campaigners took to the Heath for a spot of "Boris dancing" last Friday.
Hampstead eccentric Rainbow George - real name George Weiss - led white-wigged clowns dancing the klutz and local duo Lucy Sage and Phil Saatchi played revolutionary music.
A statement of "war on error" was also read out by local actor James Faulkner, who called on people to liberate themselves from the governing classes - "those silly arses".
Crooner Ronnie Carroll was also among supporters of the bizarre event - brought about after Mr Weiss took out a £300 bet that aliens would land during the Games.
Asked about his chances, he said: "I've been given 3,000 to one for what I believe is an evens bet.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 Man arrested following stabbing on Royal College Street
- 3 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 4 CCTV footage released as family pay tribute to 'loving son' Olsi
- 5 Highgate woman pledges £1million for children's autism charity
- 6 Hampstead nursery slams church over impending eviction
- 7 Former Camden Council leader chooses women's safety charity for second mayoral year
- 8 'I'm sorry people had to wait 30 years,' former minister tells Infected Blood Inquiry
- 9 Five bedrooms, utterly charming and in Muswell Hill
- 10 Grease: 'High energy fun but I'm not hopelessly devoted'
"Aliens wouldn't come to disrupt the start of things, they'd come at the end when the torch is being passed on to Boris.