Bookies see ‘second-highest spend in the UK’ from punters for Hampstead and Kilburn
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hampstead and Kilburn has attracted the second-highest spend in the country from punters betting on the general election, according to a leading bookmaker.
More than £15,000 has been spent by Betfred customers betting on the result of the election in England’s tightest marginal constituency, which Labour won by just 42 votes over the Conservatives in 2010.
Only Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg’s constituency of Sheffield Hallam has generated more money for Betfred.
Labour candidate Tulip Siddiq has been backed to win Hampstead and Kilburn by at least two £1,000 bets, while Labour has generated 90 per cent of Betfred’s takings in the constituency.
Betfred is offering odds of 2/7 on a victory for Ms Siddiq. The odds on a win from Conservative candidate Simon Marcus are currently 3/1, while Liberal Democrat Maajid Nawaz is at 14/1 and the Green Party’s Dr Rebecca Johnson and Ukip candidate Magnus Nielsen have attracted odds of 50/1 and 66/1 respectively.
Hampstead and Kilburn is also among the top five highest-grossing constituencies for Ladbrokes bookmakers, with between £15,000 and £20,000 spent on the constituency.
One punter recently put £3,000 on a victory for Ms Siddiq, the second-highest general election constituency bet received by Ladbrokes in Greater London.
- 1 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 5 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 6 Sexual offence reports at record levels in Camden, Haringey and Barnet
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 9 Ricky Gervais behind new benches for people grieving to 'talk and reflect'
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate
Meanwhile, Hampstead and Kilburn only made it into the top 100 highest-grossing constituencies nationally for William Hill bookmakers.
William Hill recently received a £1,000 bet on a victory for Ms Siddiq.