Bookies see ‘second-highest spend in the UK’ from punters for Hampstead and Kilburn
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Hampstead and Kilburn has attracted the second-highest spend in the country from punters betting on the general election, according to a leading bookmaker.
More than £15,000 has been spent by Betfred customers betting on the result of the election in England’s tightest marginal constituency, which Labour won by just 42 votes over the Conservatives in 2010.
Only Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg’s constituency of Sheffield Hallam has generated more money for Betfred.
Labour candidate Tulip Siddiq has been backed to win Hampstead and Kilburn by at least two £1,000 bets, while Labour has generated 90 per cent of Betfred’s takings in the constituency.
Betfred is offering odds of 2/7 on a victory for Ms Siddiq. The odds on a win from Conservative candidate Simon Marcus are currently 3/1, while Liberal Democrat Maajid Nawaz is at 14/1 and the Green Party’s Dr Rebecca Johnson and Ukip candidate Magnus Nielsen have attracted odds of 50/1 and 66/1 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Hampstead and Kilburn is also among the top five highest-grossing constituencies for Ladbrokes bookmakers, with between £15,000 and £20,000 spent on the constituency.
One punter recently put £3,000 on a victory for Ms Siddiq, the second-highest general election constituency bet received by Ladbrokes in Greater London.
- 1 Hampstead creperies told to close by Camden Council because of 'Covid risk'
- 2 Teenager dies after stabbing in Archway
- 3 Ole & Steen bakery set to open in Hampstead's former Café Rouge
- 4 Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta echoes players' support for absent Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- 5 Police mourn 'devoted' Camden constable who died from Covid
- 6 Arsenal face a crucial week as they bid to start pushing on
- 7 Royal Free calls in the army as 'unprecedented' demand continues
- 8 HS2 tunnel protesters evicted in 'siege' outside Euston Station
- 9 We must take the vaccine to protect the BAME community
- 10 MPs challenge Hampstead Heath ponds swimming charges hike
Meanwhile, Hampstead and Kilburn only made it into the top 100 highest-grossing constituencies nationally for William Hill bookmakers.
William Hill recently received a £1,000 bet on a victory for Ms Siddiq.