Bonfire night strike called off by firefighters
FIREFIGHTERS called off the bonfire night strike last night after all-day negotiations between union and brigade bosses.
A 47-hour strike was due to start at 10am this morning and last until 9am on Sunday but has been called off by the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) because it said the threat of mass sackings had been removed.
Both FBU and London Fire Brigade (LFB) managers will attend an independently chaired panel on 16 November to discuss their differences.
London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: “My intention has always been to reach an agreement on proposals that will make Londoners safer and firefighters safer. Going to an independently-chaired body to help us seek a way forward is a step in the right direction.”
And London’s fire authority chairman Brian Coleman said it was “a sensible move”. “These strikes have always been unjustified, unnecessary and utterly avoidable,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
More than 5,500 firefighters were due to take part in the strike which had been criticised as “irresponsible” by the Prime Minister.
The FBU put a plan to the LFB which it said would allow the industrial action to be averted. It said its offer followed fears about public safety on Bonfire Night and the abilities of stand-in crews employed to cover for striking staff.
- 1 Apology to Barnet mother for 'embarrassing' food parcel
- 2 Hampstead vaccination centre shoots for 1,000 daily Covid jabs
- 3 Kentish Town café fundraises to keep community spirit alive
- 4 Free Nazanin: Calls for clarity as West Hampstead mum's sentence draws to a close
- 5 Keepers read bedtime 'tails' from London Zoo during closure
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 7 Hampstead families aim to raise £50,000 to feed Royal Free medics
- 8 Maida Vale florist starts weekly subscription to brighten lockdown
- 9 Joan Bakewell fires legal threat to government over second Covid jab
- 10 O2 Centre: developer Landsec 'looking to re-provide' Sainsbury's