Bolton was a bigger game for Spurs than Inter Milan, says Bond
KEVIN Bond is urging Tottenham to remember that the league is the priority this season, insisting that Spurs’ famous victory over Inter Milan was not as important as the following game at Bolton.
Spurs face a familiar problem this weekend as they follow their prestigious Champions League match against Werder Bremen with a return to Premier League action.
The Lilywhites’ glamorous tussles with Inter Milan were both followed by disappointing domestic results – a 1-1 home draw with Everton and a 4-1 defeat at Bolton’s Reebok Stadium.
Assistant manager Bond is anxious to avoid a repeat of those scenarios when Liverpool visit N17, and Harry Redknapp’s number two is reminding the Lilywhites that the club’s primary goal is a second successive top-four finish.
“We certainly don’t want to make any excuses, but we have had a couple of difficult results after the Champions League,” said Bond.
You may also want to watch:
“It certainly wasn’t great against Bolton, especially after a wonderful night against Inter Milan. How much Inter Milan played a part in the Bolton result is really difficult to say, but I’m sure it must have some sort of impact.
“I don’t think the players can explain it. We can only make them aware that our most important game of that week was Bolton Wanderers, it wasn’t Inter Milan. We need to keep our league form going, that’s the most important thing.
- 1 Camden's Levertons to arrange the funeral of Prince Philip on April 17
- 2 Royal Free ITU nurse who swapped the Caribbean for a Covid ward
- 3 Primrose Hill to close at night this weekend after antisocial behaviour
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Primrose Hill beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 5 The questions council 'must answer' after spending £23m on £10m office
- 6 Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: Wait for second verdict could last 'until Easter'
- 7 Hampstead to trial unobtrusive electric vehicle charging points
- 8 How a 'terrifying' Hampstead spree of robberies was brought to an end
- 9 Calls for law change after Highgate School sexual abuse allegations
- 10 Pressure mounts on Jose Mourinho Spurs as his former club Man United
“It was obviously not a glory game like the Inter Milan one, but the Bolton Wanderers game was the most important game. The players know that, they accept that, they understand that, and are made fully aware of it.
“The Inter Milan result was fantastic but on the way home in the car Harry was already saying ‘the most important game of the week is Bolton’, and that’s how Harry is. He’s not one for resting on his laurels.
“We’ve made the Champions League, we’ve got to get on with it and we have to find a way of keeping that level of performance for the games after. It’s a physical and a mental thing, I think it’s both.
“You can argue that you can freshen it up with different players but we did that at Bolton and it didn’t really work for us, so it’s not easy.
“I think everybody finds it difficult, you’ll probably see most of the clubs who are playing in the Champions League maybe find it difficult for the next game. but it’s a work in progress. We’re fully aware of the situation.”