Body of man seen floating in Hampstead Heath men’s bathing pond
Police are seaching for the body of a man reportedly seen floating under the water in one of Hampstead Heath’s male bathing ponds.
Around 30 firefighters and three fire rescue units were initially sent to the scene at 5.42pm. They scoured the pond for more than 90 minutes using three boats, but were unable to locate a body. They have since handed the scene over to the police.
London Fire Brigade station manager Sam Kazmanli, who was at the scene, said his teams “carried out a methodical search” to no avail, “despite our best efforts”.
The brigade handed the scene over to police at 7.27pm.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman told the Ham&High at around 7.50pm that its marine support unit was present at the scene and dealing with the incident, but no body had been recovered.
You may also want to watch:
Check back for more updates.
- 1 'The euphoria felt like the Summer of Love' – Kaleidoscope at Ally Pally
- 2 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 3 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 4 'Wartime spirit' as residents save shops from flash floods
- 5 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 6 Highgate's assassin: the student hostel where a murder was planned
- 7 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 8 Letters: The floods!
- 9 See inside the new superhero kids' clothing store with indoor bike ramps
- 10 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home