Bob Dylan and the mistaken address in Crouch End
- Credit: Archant
Bob Dylan once got lost in Crouch End so the saying goes and ended up having a cup of tea with a fan.
The story, tall or short, who knows, was the subject of Sky Arts new Urban Myths series which aired last week.
Bob Dylan, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last year with songs such as Knocking on Heaven’s Door, Mr Tambourine Man and Tangled up in Blue, is in the area to see his friend Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics, who in the 1980’s owned the Crypt studio at 145 Crouch Hill.
Arriving from Heathrow in a cab, Bob is dropped off in Crouch End Hill, and knocks on number 145.
A woman answers the door, who tells Bob her husband, also plausibly called Dave, has popped out to the shops and offers him a cup of tea while he waits for him.
When Dave the plumber returns he recognises his musical hero straightaway, greeting him like an old friend.
David Winskill, former Crouch End councillor, said: “This story has been kicking around Crouch End for well over two decades and there are as many versions as there are people who tell it.
- 1 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 2 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 3 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 4 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 5 Muswell Hill service ‘disgraceful’ as Royal Mail crisis continues
- 6 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 7 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder following Maida Vale deaths
- 9 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 10 BAFTA-nominated BBC series returns to the Royal Free Hospital
“By portraying Bob Dylan as a bit vague the writers have cleverly got round any questions of fact!
“There are some great scenes of the clock tower and other bits of Crouch End and I hope as many people as possible who live in the area will get to watch it.”