Blimp flown above Swiss Cottage to show full height of proposed tower
- Credit: Archant
A bright green blimp loomed above Swiss Cottage today as planners looked to show the full scale of a residential tower proposed for the site.
Campaigners and passers-by craned their necks to take in the striking visual which coincided with a site visit as part of a planning appeal.
It was intended to show just how high the proposed 24-storey tower would be, with it visible from Hampstead Heath.
Developer Essential Living’s plans would see the existing six-storey building at 100 Avenue Road torn down and space for 184 flats provided, along with a new home for the neighbouring charity The Winch.
The proposals – opposed by some 3,000 people – were rejected by Camden Council in September on grounds that the tower was “too high” and impacted on neighbouring conservations areas.
In full view of the blimp was planning inspector Graham Dudley, who is leading an eight-day public appeal into the scheme, to be concluded on Friday.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 3 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 4 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 5 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 6 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
- 9 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 10 The man who wants to put trains among the trees from Muswell Hill to Highgate