Blimp flown above Swiss Cottage to show full height of proposed tower
- Credit: Archant
A bright green blimp loomed above Swiss Cottage today as planners looked to show the full scale of a residential tower proposed for the site.
Campaigners and passers-by craned their necks to take in the striking visual which coincided with a site visit as part of a planning appeal.
It was intended to show just how high the proposed 24-storey tower would be, with it visible from Hampstead Heath.
Developer Essential Living’s plans would see the existing six-storey building at 100 Avenue Road torn down and space for 184 flats provided, along with a new home for the neighbouring charity The Winch.
The proposals – opposed by some 3,000 people – were rejected by Camden Council in September on grounds that the tower was “too high” and impacted on neighbouring conservations areas.
You may also want to watch:
In full view of the blimp was planning inspector Graham Dudley, who is leading an eight-day public appeal into the scheme, to be concluded on Friday.
- 1 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 2 Nancy Jirira wins Fortune Green by-election, holding on to Lib Dem council seat
- 3 Haringey Council launches investigation into land deal with rapper
- 4 £5,000 of crack cocaine and heroin found in Hampstead home
- 5 'Cash cows': Leaseholders fight for clarity and better value over 'huge bills'
- 6 Teenager's artwork reimagines grandfather's class photo
- 7 Property of the week: Impressive mid-terrace Kentish Town family home
- 8 Highgate School staff must undergo 'anti-sexism training' over summer
- 9 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 10 Crouch End Festival Chorus: Alexandra Palace Theatre