'Negligence put lives at risk': £10k fine after fire at unlicensed HMO
- Credit: Barnet Council
A property company and director from Golders Green have been ordered to pay £10,000 after a blaze ripped through an unlicensed home that didn’t have any fire extinguishers.
The fire last April at the illegitimate house of multiple occupancy (HMO) in Hall Lane, Hendon, left six tenants “lives at risk” and made them homeless. The residents all escaped the fire without injury and they were put into emergency accommodation.
An investigation by Barnet Council found that the property had no fire doors or fire extinguishers, and an inadequate fire alarm.
Keylid Property Limited, which is based in Portsdown Avenue, Golders Green, and its director Ali Reza Mirzaie, pleaded guilty to failing to licence the home, and for failing to meet the minimum standards of management.
They were each ordered to pay a £2,500 fine, £181 victim surcharge and £2,411.45 costs after being prosecuted at Willesden Magistrates Court on March 11.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Richard Cornelius, the chair of Barnet Council’s housing and growth committee, said: “Six lives were put at risk because of the negligence of one man and his property company. This is unacceptable.”
- 1 Highgate mental illness charity sees 'desperation' rise during Covid year
- 2 Two men charged after police find 'gun, cash and drugs' in Brent Cross flat
- 3 Owner mourns Highgate station’s beloved black cat
- 4 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 5 Police officer suffers leg injury after BMW stopped during 'routine patrol'
- 6 North London nurses: 1% NHS pay offer is a 'kick in the teeth'
- 7 Toilets, the Ponds, Streatery, Nazanin and Palestine
- 8 'Unacceptable' HGV use by developers in Church Row writes off 3 cars
- 9 Arteta asks Arsenal to use 'pain' to punish West Brom
- 10 London Assembly elections: Camden, Barnet and Haringey's candidates