Birmingham head writes in support of Frank Barnes School for deaf children
I write in support of Frank Barnes School for Deaf Children. Its location is currently under threat to make way for a new Academy on Adelaide Road. I am a headteacher of a similar school for deaf pupils in Birmingham, working in the same way, and I want t
I write in support of Frank Barnes School for Deaf Children. Its location is currently under threat to make way for a new Academy on Adelaide Road. I am a headteacher of a similar school for deaf pupils in Birmingham, working in the same way, and I want to support my London colleagues strongly.
We are also currently undergoing a review of SEN provision and there is a real understanding that this particular group of 'low-incidence/high cost' pupils is to be protected. Deaf children such as ours need a linguistic community to develop their self-esteem and a full language that gives them access to the curriculum.
Frank Barnes is a vital resource that provides excellent provision for deaf children and enjoys a national and international reputation in deaf education, where a sign bi-lingual policy enables the children to access the national curriculum through British sign language (BSL). To lose or even disrupt this excellent provision would be a devastating blow to the deaf community and have consequences lasting for generations.
Having fought for many years to establish BSL as a recognised language, it would surely be discrimination against deaf children if this school were to be replaced.
You may also want to watch:
Longwill Primary School for Deaf Children, Birmingham
- 1 Brian Rose: Who is the London mayoral candidate in the suit on the billboards?
- 2 Armed police search Tube at Finchley Road and find 'imitation' gun
- 3 Teenage girls charged with Hampstead robberies
- 4 Hampstead Heath bosses look for injunction power to stop bad behaviour
- 5 Woman dies after house fire in Muswell Hill
- 6 Lilian Baylis House: Old Decca Studios site for sale, but could become listed
- 7 'Forgotten Rivers' route proposed by The Ramblers
- 8 Nazanin may become 'bargaining chip' in Iran nuclear deal, warns husband
- 9 The Magdala: US collector digs up pub history from long before Ruth Ellis
- 10 'Big elephant's backside': David Hare and Nicole Farhi slam house plans