Watch: Flames burst from bin lorry during Swiss Cottage blaze
- Credit: Samuel Hick
Passers-by in Swiss Cottage on Friday evening were shocked to see a bin van on fire.
The blaze - which was fortunately confined to the truck itself and did not result in injuries - lit up the street scene at the south end of Finchley Road.
Samuel Hick, who saw the blaze begin, told this newspaper the fire began at 7.40pm opposite McDonalds.
Video shows traffic passing the vehicle while it was ablaze.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: "Firefighters were called to a dustcart alight on Finchley Road NW3 on Friday evening.
You may also want to watch:
"A dustcart carrying around a tonne of cardboard was damaged by the fire. There were no reports of any injuries."
They said the brigade were first called at 7.36pm, and that the blaze was under control by 8.20pm.
- 1 Swimmers find exotic python lurking outside lido
- 2 Curious Crouch End: From Mrs Hitler to the 'The Hornsey Revolution'
- 3 'Decades of cycling infrastructure progress in just a year'
- 4 Baked to perfection: Dunns rakes in prizes at World Bread Awards
- 5 North London police officer suspended and charged with theft
- 6 'Unacceptable': Fury over Crouch End roadworks diverting W5 bus
- 7 Squares Pizzeria: Authentic Italian meets effortless elegance
- 8 Christmas trees and lights set for Hampstead return
- 9 Objectors fear housing plans threaten chance of Highgate pub return
- 10 MP bemoans closure of Lloyds Bank in Muswell Hill