Watch: Flames burst from bin lorry during Swiss Cottage blaze
- Credit: Samuel Hick
Passers-by in Swiss Cottage on Friday evening were shocked to see a bin van on fire.
The blaze - which was fortunately confined to the truck itself and did not result in injuries - lit up the street scene at the south end of Finchley Road.
Samuel Hick, who saw the blaze begin, told this newspaper the fire began at 7.40pm opposite McDonalds.
Video shows traffic passing the vehicle while it was ablaze.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: "Firefighters were called to a dustcart alight on Finchley Road NW3 on Friday evening.
You may also want to watch:
"A dustcart carrying around a tonne of cardboard was damaged by the fire. There were no reports of any injuries."
They said the brigade were first called at 7.36pm, and that the blaze was under control by 8.20pm.
- 1 'Safe and secure home' - Camden takes landlord to court over eviction threat
- 2 Car driver arrested after crash with van in Camden Town
- 3 Charitable hospital set to open new £35m wing
- 4 Piers Plowright obituary: BBC and Hampstead star dies at 83
- 5 Thames Water 'sorry' after Finchley Road diversion sees cars damaged
- 6 Man charged with indecent exposure and voyeurism in West Hampstead
- 7 'Like the Fleet's resurfaced': Flash flooding hits Hampstead and Highgate
- 8 North London floods return – with South End Green deluged again
- 9 Anger over Thames Water and Westminster Council's flash floods response
- 10 O2 Centre: Developer says it 'will listen' but still aiming for 1,900 homes