Shop Local: Highgate and Gospel Oak grocer to open Belsize organic store
- Credit: Polly Hancock
The former Sylvester Fine Art in Belsize Village is set to become an organic food store.
The Belsize Lane shop is due to be opened on November 23 by Alper Kocer, who already has two organic shops, Highgate Wholefoods in Highgate Village, and Goods Grocery in Gospel Oak.
Alper told the Ham&High he was encouraged to expand by soaring trade during lockdown.
“I’ve always supported local businesses, and I trust my friendly neighbours here to also support local shops,” he said.
“Our products have a positive effect on people, and customers always say it’s so nice to have us around.”
Though he isn’t vegan himself, Alper’s wife Nurcan is, and he said people in the area are increasingly interested in vegan and organic food.
The shopkeeper has lived in London for four years, having moved from Turkey’s capital, Ankara, with his wife. The couple have a 22-month-old son.
- 1 Dentist guilty of 'attempted sexual communication with a child'
- 2 Rainbow George: Hampstead 'dreamer' dies at 81
- 3 Henrietta Barnett rated second best state school in the UK
- 4 Hampstead's Old White Bear to reopen before Christmas
- 5 Hornsey Tavern to reopen as Irish sports pub
- 6 Mayor of Haringey racially abused after Christmas event
- 7 Men wanted in connection with 'appalling' antisemitic incident on Oxford Street
- 8 John Lewis Christmas advert: The Golders Green teenager who met an alien
- 9 10 suspected north London drug dealers arrested in dawn raids
- 10 Out with Cafe Hampstead... in comes Oak & Poppy