Shop Local: Highgate and Gospel Oak grocer to open Belsize organic store
- Credit: Polly Hancock
The former Sylvester Fine Art in Belsize Village is set to become an organic food store.
The Belsize Lane shop is due to be opened on November 23 by Alper Kocer, who already has two organic shops, Highgate Wholefoods in Highgate Village, and Goods Grocery in Gospel Oak.
Alper told the Ham&High he was encouraged to expand by soaring trade during lockdown.
“I’ve always supported local businesses, and I trust my friendly neighbours here to also support local shops,” he said.
“Our products have a positive effect on people, and customers always say it’s so nice to have us around.”
Though he isn’t vegan himself, Alper’s wife Nurcan is, and he said people in the area are increasingly interested in vegan and organic food.
The shopkeeper has lived in London for four years, having moved from Turkey’s capital, Ankara, with his wife. The couple have a 22-month-old son.
- 1 Hampstead Heath to host first Christmas Fayre
- 2 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 3 Possible travel disruptions in north London this week
- 4 Susan Jones obituary: A 'humble' Muswell Hill shop owner of 40 years
- 5 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 6 Artist with autism exhibits vibrant London scenes at Lido Cafe
- 7 North London Chorus to perform in Muswell Hill
- 8 'Someone is responsible for council spending £23m on office block'
- 9 Haringey Council SEND failures: 'Some parents are on antidepressants'
- 10 Highgate Hill housing plans spark fears over new pub's future