Belsize Lane Women’s Liberation Workshop: Event to celebrate local feminist history
- Credit: Archant
The Belsize Lane Womens’ Liberation Workshop have been integral to the feminist movement in Camden and beyond since 1969.
On Thursday this week, the Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre is hosting an event showcasing feminist short films and even including a panel discussion with active members of the workshop.
The film A Woman’s Place about the origins of the Women’s Liberation Movement will be screened before the panel discussion. That will involve the sharing of memories by a panel made up of members of that early Belsize Lane Women’s Liberation Workshop, and discussion and questions from the audience.
The panel will be chaired by Dr Susan Croft, who is one of the curators of the ‘A Stone’s Throw From Westminster’ exhibition highlighting the role of Camden women in the national suffrage movement.
Dr Croft told the Ham&High: “The film is incredibly rare, it was actually put together by the Belsize Lane group. It’s a really great chance to hear from some inspiring women, they were really involved in making practical changes for people’s lives in Camden, by running nurseries for example, among a huge number of things.
“It’s still remarkable that there’s not been never been a book published about feminism in Camden because it’s fascinating.”
This is a free event, running from 7.15pm at the archives above Holborn Library, although donations to SuffrageArts are welcome.
- 1 'We're proud of what we do': Kossoffs celebrates six months in Kentish Town
- 2 Two dead in Maida Vale: Woman stabbed and man 'struck by vehicle'
- 3 The most expensive homes sold in Haringey in November 2021
- 4 Italian sandwich shop opens in a Hampstead telephone box
- 5 'The joy of addiction is when you are free of it,' says Hampstead author
- 6 Ex-manager admits defrauding Paddington Sports Club
- 7 'We don't need to drink more coffee' say cafés as Joe & The Juice moves in
- 8 Hampstead, Highgate and Muswell Hill constituency changes consultation
- 9 Cops swoop on cannabis farm rumoured to be 'largest ever' busted in Haringey
- 10 Air ambulance mobilised as boy, 15, knifed in South Hampstead
Attendees will also be able to view the exhibition, while refreshments will be provided.
Doors open at 6.45.